van Reenen Railway road - Leg and bike - 20080804

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bike
Kymco (all models)
The old railway road that winds up the Berg next to the N3 from Besters in the KZN foothills up to van Reenen is to me one of the nicest rides in the country.

I first heard about the road in the pub in Swinburne, put a request for a track here on the forum, and found that quite a few WDs had ridden it. BushClown obliged and the road became part of the route of the Newcastle weekend â?? the forum report is at:-

https://wilddog.net.za/forum/index.php?topic=17497.0

On the Newcastle trip it was the fifth of six Berg crossings we did on the Saturday, and the pull of the beers in the Green Lantern Inn in van Reenen was strong and we did not really get a chance to take many pics or admire the scenery.

My son Simon and I are both old boys of Michaelhouse in the Natal Midlands, and with him having spent the last six years at the University of Cape Town we had never had a chance to visit the school together, so we decided to go down for the Hilton rugby match on Saturday and do some sightseeing on Sunday. Simon is not into powered biking, but he loves his mountain bike, so I sold him the idea of a ride down the railway road with me as guide/second/sweeper/coffee provider/photographer and general parental nuisance.

He will claim that I totally misled him as to the bumpiness of the road and the number of uphillâ??s to ride on the way down â?? claims fully justified. You donâ??t really see the slopes on a motorbike and there were times I felt really sorry for his legs pumping away up the hills.

But much of his discomfort was of his own doing. At the rugby match he was befriended by an old fellow who had a large stash of fine French wines who kept his goblet permanently full, and when we made it back to Swinburne he got stuck in the pub with some of the locals and the ownerâ??s daughter until many hours after his wise father had retired. 

I really enjoyed the ride with Simon, and it was great to have time to really look about and enjoy the view and take pics. Having said that I was amazed as to how fast he could cover the ground on a mountain bike. Every time I stopped up ahead he seemed to be with me far sooner than I expected. With many stops on the way he made the 35Km track in a little over two hours and then did a further 10Km on tar to the tollgate to save me two tolls when I went to fetch the car.   

This road is on my list of â??must rideâ? tracks, and I still have in mind to organize an exploratory weekend in the van Reenen area to get a chance to do some of the other passes, tunnels and tracks in the area.

Some pics of the trip:-

At the start â?? only one needed petrol.

MHSHiltonRailwayRoad_050.jpg

van Reenen suburbia.

MHSHiltonRailwayRoad_051.jpg

The start of the old railway track.

MHSHiltonRailwayRoad_053.jpg

The start of the drop â?? Railway gradient â?? never steep.

MHSHiltonRailwayRoad_054.jpg

Bit of adjustment on the way

MHSHiltonRailwayRoad_055.jpg

Waiting for eyes to adjust to the dark.

MHSHiltonRailwayRoad_057.jpg

Nearing the foothills

MHSHiltonRailwayRoad_059.jpg

Cappuccino stop and leg rest

MHSHiltonRailwayRoad_063.jpg

Some hills I had forgotten about.

MHSHiltonRailwayRoad_064.jpg

Foothills and Locals on plastic bikes.

MHSHiltonRailwayRoad_066.jpg

Another forgotten hill.

MHSHiltonRailwayRoad_068.jpg

Over the top

MHSHiltonRailwayRoad_069.jpg

A hill I never realized was a hill.

MHSHiltonRailwayRoad_070.jpg

Nearing the final downhill

MHSHiltonRailwayRoad_071.jpg

The bottom at Besters

MHSHiltonRailwayRoad_072.jpg

Son is a brave man..... :biggrin:

Nice ride, well done to both father and son!!!

GundaGunda said:
Cappuccino stop and leg rest

Nice post Gunda, awesome read.... just a little jealous about the coffee  :biggrin:  :biggrin:  :biggrin:

Was your son the sweeper?  :biggrin:

Cool report.

LeonDude said:
That KLE of yours loves taking you places.
At the risk of being anthropomorphic, I think you are right.
Since I live at the office there are days when I don't leave the place and I am sure the bike sulks.
Willing little steed that !

Some pics of the non-riding bits:-

Front of Michaelhouse â?? The school founder, Rev James Cameron Todd was a Cambridge student â?? hence the architecture.

Read the â??Spudâ? books ?  -  John van de Ruit is an old boy so you can guess where the stories are based.

MHSPano.jpg

Simon reminiscing in the Chapel

MHSHiltonRailwayRoad_008.jpg

The boys have a tradition of noting the name of the war-departed old boy above the head when you enter the school. Simon posing with his head under â??Susskindâ? â?? he was small, but I doubt I was much bigger. 

MHSHiltonRailwayRoad_010.jpg

GG, beautiful man, beautiful.Oh how am I missing my mountain biking now.But I had my innings, and enjoyed it.