Van Stadens Valentines

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NovaT

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Chang Jiang (all models)
Since I haven't really posted anything of value to this forum, I thought I might at least leave a small ride report...

So last week Thursday the lady and I had a look at the weather for the weekend, we decided that Saturday morning would be better than Sunday and planned a short ride just outside of town somewhere ... Not knowing exactly where we would end up but with a small cooler box strapped to the back with some bubbly and lekker vrot kaas hidden inside, we hit the road!

Headed out West on the old Cape Road at around 08.45, slight drizzle, overcast conditions made for an awesome slow cruise. I was thinking of either hitting the Elandsriver Road or going past Gamtoos and into the Loerie area but then I remembered the dirt road going passed Falcon Rock which I wanted to "Explore". Took the turnoff and cruised lekker slow around the dirt roads in the area looking for something interesting, saw a sign that said 'Gorge' '10 min walk' leading next to an old railway line and thought AHAAAAA!!  Should only be 2 min on the slow Fugly!

After following the single track for 3 min we arrived at the old train bridge crossing the Van Stadens river, breathtaking! I had no idea that this sort of beauty was just 20min out of town.

Perfect spot for a quick champagne breakfast of peach royale, vrot cheese/crackers and marshmallows!!

Headed back after an awesome 'breakfast' and road around the dirt roads in the St Albans area for a bit, exploring on the doorstep!

Next time we go over that bridge!!

...My trip meter decided to give in  ::) , at least there is a replacement waiting in the garage!!  ;)

'Champagne breakfast'

My better half!

Didn't know you could get to the bridge by bike
Must check it out sometime
Used to walk over that bridge in my school days. every so often a train comes along while you are crossing.
You then have to lean back and hang your rucksack over the bridge to let the train pass
Pretty scary as a kid with the  bridge shaking

Lakey said:
Didn't know you could get to the bridge by bike
Must check it out sometime
Used to walk over that bridge in my school days. every so often a train comes along while you are crossing.
You then have to lean back and hang your rucksack over the bridge to let the train pass
Pretty scary as a kid with the  bridge shaking

I think it is actually part of a mountain bike trail, very short section though.
I can only imagine how scary that must have been, the Lady was and is still not keen on crossing the bridge. Still looks safe, just extremely high! Definitely doesn't look like any trains have used it in a while.