VIDEO - Our ride up to Thule Beacon and Sehlabathebe

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonW

Grey Hound
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Bike
Boss Hoss (all models)
Video put together by Highsider

[flash=825,570]https://www.youtube.com/v/E-0P4Y50_qI[/flash]

Thanks for the video Jon,  what an awesome ride.

Although the pass it is only accessible by 4x4 vehicles it still looks like it is used on a "regular" basis. My question: is it still used today by people to travel between Lesotho and SA?
Do you perhaps know the history of the pass? It would be interesting to know what it was used for in the past and still being used for today? 

Losper said:

Although the pass it is only accessible by 4x4 vehicles it still looks like it is used on a "regular" basis. My question: is it still used today by people to travel between Lesotho and SA?
Do you perhaps know the history of the pass? It would be interesting to know what it was used for in the past and still being used for today?

Losper the pass is on private land and is used by the farmer to get to his cattle which graze in the high up areas, not used by people to travel between SA and Lesotho.

It was originally constructed by the farmers to chase cattle rustlers and recover their stolen cattle from Lesotho.

THROTTLE JOCKEY said:
looks awesome have you by any chance got the tracks for your ride?

Sorry TJ can't give tracks out, the landowner is also very anti people riding across his land, it is a real mission for me to get his permission to ride there.

JonW said:
Losper said:

Losper the pass is on private land and is used by the farmer to get to his cattle which graze in the high up areas, not used by people to travel between SA and Lesotho.

It was originally constructed by the farmers to chase cattle rustlers and recover their stolen cattle from Lesotho.

Thanks Jon,  I am sure the theft of livestock is a huge problem in that area.

It is a well known route that Stuart Joyner took me up in the late 80's. At that time they would chase the rustlers only with bikes and Stuart was loosing an enormous amount of sheep at the time. Before the turn of the century the local farmers had cut a road through that they could take staff up and supply them and there are some anti-poaching container shelters at the top, one at the top of Thule pass and one further along the park. Iain told me on my last visit they found  a much better solution to rustling that has made their lives much easier. Ian

JonW said:
THROTTLE JOCKEY said:
looks awesome have you by any chance got the tracks for your ride?

Sorry TJ can't give tracks out, the landowner is also very anti people riding across his land, it is a real mission for me to get his permission to ride there.

No Problem. I understand

Latest posts