WARNING: '08 KLR owners!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stofstreep

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
NER-A-CAR
Hi guys
Just a warning for everyone that has a 2008 KLR 650.
BE VERY CAREFUL WHEN ADJUSTING THE SPRING ON THE BACK SHOCK!

Me, not having a lot of experience on bikes :-\, but being a bit mechanically inclined 8), decided that I want to adjust the tension of the spring on the back shock of me 2 week old KLR.
I was used to the old Mono Shock systems with the adjustment ring.
Went through the manual, but the pictures are not very clear and just noticed that it is mentioned that there are 5 levels.
To confirm, and make sure I understood correctly, I asked the dealer today and he showed me that it is just a nut on the side of the shock that you need to turn clockwise with a 12mm socket. He also mentioned the 5 levels of adjustment. ::)
Got home for lunch and decided that I'll sommer quickly do the adjustment and the setting of rebound.  8)
Had a look at the shock and there is a clear line marking the first position of the shock with a big 1.
Slowly I turned (with no or very little effort) the Socket and felt very feint clicking, until it stuck at, what I thought was the second level. ;)
During the adjustment the "Scale" line moved approximately 1.5mm upward, and revealing another "scale" line, confirming my suspicion that it was only the second level. The lettering was, however underneath the metal ring and not visible. ???

I then proceeded to further adjust the spring tension, as my intention was to set it at the fourth level. With a small amount of effort :) I turned the socket and felt a satisfied Click. But after that there was no more movement of the shock as was previously visible from the "scale".

What now!!!! ??? ???

Had a close look and realized that the entire 1.5mm is the five levels of adjustment ::). Ok, no problem, I'll just turn it back one "feint" click, and it should be set to level four, right?
Wrong! :eek: As I turned it back the shock jumped back to the original position at the first line. Ok, no problem I'll just adjust it on the feint clicks now.
HA! Nadda, nothing, niks. It does not budge. :p

Jip you guest it I stripped it.  :-[ :-[ :-[

So please let the dealers do it otherwise might also sit with a "Chrisism" ;D ;D