WHAT IS THE FUNCTION OF CRASH BARS?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spokie

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW F650GS / Dakar
I have a certain "spesmaas" that this topic has been covered numerous times, though, I can't find the exact information I need... so, please bare with me.

I am on a spree to build my own crash bars and engine guard for my Dakar. However, it could just as well be an idiotic idea regarding the cost/time I'll spend, the frustration in sourcing materials, finding a pipe bender, finding a welder etc. Anyway, if I do make the decision to design it myself I would need to know what to design for... The A-Specifications! Seeing I'm not an experienced rider lots of the specs would be based on thumb sucking assumptions. Therefore, can someone please explain some basic principles, functions or requirements of crash bars.

Secondly, the BMW original fitted bash plate (or engine guard) on the Dakar is as thin as tin-foil. Is this thing sufficient for off-road missions and so on (including driving on rough'isch' terrain)? 

I got, from a discussion on the Chain Gang forum:

https://www.f650.com/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=223964&p=461480

this pic (beneath), wherein the guy followed a certain idea to what he thought a crash bar should do, which explains allot. Though, I do not really take on his way of reasoning about this particular point but I could be wrong...

What do you guys think?

Attachments

• crashline.jpg
    crashline.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 789