What would you be prepared to pay for a factory crate engine? Deal cancelled.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heddles

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
AJS (all models)
The opportunity has arisen to purchase a new ex factory 990 engine. I need to be careful here with what I pay for it. It is not something I need right now but circumstances change, as we have seen with this crisis we are sitting in currently.
The reasoning behind this is to be able to sell it to someone who wants to refresh their 990 in only the best possible way. By replacing the powerplant with one that was built by the same factory that built the original one in their bike. I am not interested in making money out of this. I will sell it for what I pay for it.

I know little more about it besides that the seller is a reputable person, it is not currently in South Africa and still in the crate it came in.
The engine is complete. All covers, bolt on bits, the throttle bodies and airbox.

The reason for this post is to test the waters and see if the exercise is worthwhile or not. I want to get an idea of what I should offer. As far as I know, they are no longer available from the factory and when they were, the price tag was quite high. If the feedback is positive, I will go for it. If not, I will abandon.

What would someone be prepared to pay for an engine like this if they ended up with a broken LC8 in their bike..?