Which tyre for 50/50?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nightwind

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS Adventure
My fellow dogs; I plan a tour to Namaqualand in August/September this year. It will mean riding Katja (my 1150 GS) from Guateng (Roodepoort) the 900 odd kms to where the gravel roads will start, south of Springbok. My question; which tyre or combination do you suggest I use? In order of current view/preference I have the following in mind:
1. Mitas E-07 front and back (apparently good all round; good grip on and off road, nervous on wet tar; good milage)
2. Mitas E-07 back and TKC front (better grip in front off road; not so good on road and on wet tar; not good milage front)
3. Heindenau front and back (apparently good grip all round; good milage; running off square; reports of knoblies breaking off)
4. Mitas E-10 front and back (same report as TKC's; low milage; horrible on wet tar; excellent off road; weaving on tar, especially over 120 km/h)

I stand to be corrected. What do you suggest?
The tar road to Springbok is...well...tar road.
The gravel roads in the Namaqua area contains rocky areas, gravel, mud and also sand (sandveld).

Maybe its asking a lot; to have one set of tyres for everything.
Your opinions will be very very valuable.
Thanks

Latest posts