XR Pigfest - WC

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beserker

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
AJS (all models)
OK....  >:D

Attendance register:

RiderDrinks at Kransgat    Petrol:Elandsvlei    Petrol:Oasis   
Beserker       Beer, 6 pack4l4l
Grrrrrrrrrrr!12 x B/Label4l4l
DirtHoundBeer, 6 pack 5l 7l
Fuzzy Muzzy 2l Coke 5l 5l
Mof Baie 10 5
JC2l Coke Zero5l5l
Tau Baie 10 4
Masehare water 5 5
Ant water 5 10
HotSauce TBC 5 5
ValBaas TBC 5 5
Grondpaaie 2l Bonaquo Naartjie 5 7
WatKykDjy Extra baie 5 5
Tour TBC 5 5

OK...these are the costs:

Camp at Kransgat, incl. braai (tjops and something on the side), coffee and Beskuit Saturday morning (Oh yes, and longdrop):  R100.00
(Your own cutlery, sleeping stuff and drinks...those that ordered from Mof, pls settle with him on Friday night)

Petrol @ Elandsfontein, R13.50 per liter.
Petrol @ Oasis, R13.50 per liter.

Camp at Oasis: R35.00 pp
Dinner and Breakfast available at Oasis, for your own account  (Good value for money)

So, if you are coming with, and ordered 5 litres of petrol at Elandsvlei, and 5 liters of petrol at Oasis, you need to pay me:

Kransgat:  R 100.00
Elandsvlei  R   67.50   (5 litres x 13.50)
Oasis (p)   R   67.50   (5 litres x 13.50)
Oasis (a)   R   35.00
Total         R 170.00

Edit 13/01  Weekend of 9 March!!

Edit 18/01  You will need to take leave!

Itenary:

Day 1 Friday, 8 March 2013:

I will be starting from Stellenbosch, via Tulbach to Prince Alfred Hamlet, where I will fill up at the Brent Oil station.
There is a conveniant coffeeshop with nice coffee and good breakfast across the road, I suggest we meet there 8 March 2013 9:30

From here we will leave for Kransgat, the overnight spot. We will stop at Middelpos for refuel: 279 km
Kransgat is about 40km from Middelpos.

At Kransgat, Mof has graciously agreed to provide braai and some drinks. For the vegans, you have a choice of "skaaptjops" or "skaaptjops"
The rest of us will indulge in succulant "skaaptjops".
For drinks, please add your preferance to the attendance register.
The cost to be confirmed.

Braai at Kransgat:

index.php

Day 2, 9 March 2013:

Leave Kransgat for Middelpos, 40km and fill up.
From here it is 293km to Oasis, our overnight stop.
Catering by Gerrit and Chantal is for your own account.

Cederberg Oasis:

oasisgr.jpg

Day 3, 10 March 2013:

Leave Cederberg Oasis for home, at own time.
From here it is 99kmkm to Prince Alfred Hamlet, and a petrol station.

Petrol:

Day 1:

Prince Alfred Hamlet to Middelpos: 279 km

Day 2:

(please keep minimal as it gets fetched from town by bakkie, and expect to pay premium)

Petrol can be arranged at.

Middelpos to Elandsvlei: 154km, please confirm fuel needed to the attendance register (keep minimal).
ElandsVlei to Oasis: 138km, please confirm fuel needed to the attendance register.

Day 3:

Oasis tO Prince Alfred Hamlet: 99km,

The Ride:

Essentialy a loop from Ceres over Ouberg to Middelpos.
From Middelpos, via the old postal route to Wuppertal, and on to Oasis, and then Ceres.

On both days there will be an alternative technical section, travel light.

What to take:

Normal trip maintenance stuff e.g tube, tools on the bike, snacks for the rider.
Sleeping stuff (mattress and sleeping bag)
Eating utensils (At both overnight spots dinner will be catered for, so skip the Weber etc.)

Can be cold, over December we had some rain, so think about a tent, or share a tent. Except for rain, I will probably sleep outside.
Important: Water (Hydration pack etc.  It can get very hot, water will be scarce, plan accordingly.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Started playing around with routes, dates and ideas, and as planning gets underway, will update this post:

Within range we have the West Coast and the Cederberg/Tankwa areas, my take is on the Cederberg/Tankwa.
The West coast involves vast distances over sand, and although awesome, I thought that the Cederberg/Tankwa apart from being closer, also offers:

1. Varied terrain,
2. Less re-fueling issues

For initial planning, I worked on a scheme whereby we will camp, but where meals can be served, i.e., do not cart food along...  travel light ( :deal: You take the kitchen sink along, you will suffer, probably die  :evil6:)

Some headlines i.t.o the route:

From Ceres to overnight spot:  310 km, with refuel point at 280 km.
- You need to make this distance, there is no possibility of arranging fuel.

From overnight spot to Prince Alfred Hamlet where we will be able to refuel without prior arrangement, 360 km.
- If you can not make this, there is the possibility to arrange for refuel at 229km and 293km.
- Both these options will not allow you to fill up, just supplement.

The 310km on day 1 is not an issue, the 360km at day 2 is, therefor the following suggestion:

Day 1, Friday morning: start from Ceres, to overnight spot.
Day 2, Saturday morning: start from overnight spot, to Cederberg Oasis.
Day 3, Sunday morning: Start from Cederberg Oasis, leisurely back home.

It can be done in 2 days, but you will ride your butt off, most likely doing the Blinkberg pass (gravel) after dark.
We can also start of the Saturday, and then those who must get home for Monday, can do the ironbutt thing Sunday night.

Dates:

I have the following weekends open, 23 February, 2 March, 9 March, what says you?

Some pics, the route from Ceres to Ceres:  

PigFest.jpg

The terrain:

2010_02_28_00005_1.jpg

DSC00429small.jpg

DSC00410.jpg

DSC00433.jpg

2010_02_28_00004_1.jpg