XR650L FRONT SPROCKET

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roxtar

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
Other day I was washing down my new babe (XR650L)  and decided to remove the front sprocket cover just for inspection and cleaning, and noticed that it looked like the sprocket (std 15 tooth) was scraping the inside of the cover. I then cleaned the cover properly inside and for sure it was eating the cover from the inside (bike only had first 350km's on odo) and it looked like it had already demolished a section of the cover in the centre completely.

Proceeded to immediatley buy a 14 tooth from Off Road Cycles but it will not fit as it is just too wide on splines, even with a bit of banging it is just around 1.5mm to wide for the retaining clip to fasten. Resorted to a 13 tooth which is cool in town and dirt tracks as it pulls like a train and the wheel is light in front  ;D but on longer stretches the gearing is too low!

Has anyone had same problem, I want to exchange the 14 tooth as I might just have the wrong part, but the 15 tooth worries me catching the casing as it must obviously be an oversight from Honda?

Will try to post a pic or two of the offending piece of kit!