XR650L starter motor woes

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zacapa

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Honda XR650L
So I have been rebuilding my XR650L motor the last few weeks after ignoring it in the garage the last few years. No problems there - it has a new Wiseco piston in it, a decent valve-job and new bits and pieces as required, All bolts torqued down to spec. That was the easy part. I'm now stuck with another problem - the Starter Motor.
Had to cut the connecting +ve feed years ago when I took it all apart as the corrosion on positive terminal would not allow it to be unbolted. Sorted that out by getting a new brush and terminal M6 bolt from Startline. The positive feed to starter motor gets 12.9 Volts to it from a fresh battery. All I hear when I press the starter button is a click as the solenoid activates  - and nothing else. When I connect the starter motor directly to a battery it spins freely as it should. I had the gear side of things apart where the starter motor engages and things look OK to me there.

What am I missing? or should I try whacking the starter motor with a hammer as I push the start button? Solenoid maybe?

Some of the clever ous on here may have an idea...