XT660Z Tenere my first 2000km......

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zeff Cowboy

Living the American Dream
WD Supporter
Reaction score
So i got my XT660Z last week from Yamaha in PE brand new. I havent had too much time to ride it yet but i've done some riding around town to the value of 220km. Am planning on doing a 1000km plus trip next weekend. I will then book its first service.

My previous bikes were KLR650, BMW F650, BMW R1200GS, BMW F800GS

So why did i change to Yamaha? I wanted to try something different. I am not a brand loyal type.

The bike is pleasantly surprising me everyday with its ease of the ride and the grin factor it has. I like a bike with a rough edge and the XT thumper does exactly that. But at the same time it also looks pretty good.

First thing i noticed was the sporty sound from the standard twin exhaust pipes and currently i am not even thinking of adding aftermarket pipes which is a good thing for the wallet.

Suspension feels really good in and around town anyway. Will test gravel next weekend.

Ground clearance is awesome.

Looks great.

Overall ergonomics seems good for a thumper. Its not a 1200GS though.

Wheels and rims looks good and strong. Looks like it can withstand a beating.

Wind protection is good for the type of bike.

I like the Dakar racer style front. A high mubguard would have been nice as standard.

The engine feels good. So far i've been taking it easy so cannot really comment on power.

The gearbox is fantastic with the tall 5th gear it should be able to cruise at 140km/h without hurting the engine.

The good fuel consumption plus large fuel tank equates to great range.

Bike is very easy to ride, much easier than the F800GS.

Dislikes yes i do have dislikes  :p

The fuel gauge is rubbish. They can disable it for all i care.

Bike is high and no low seat available.

The standard footpegs are rubbish. SW motech i will get.

The exhaust heats up the tail alot. I am worrying about that a bit.

Yamaha could have supplied more tie down points for soft luggage. The bike is designed around the Yamaha standard boxes which are nice but i prefer soft luggage.

and lastly FFS!! why no option for heated grips..... ???  :dousing:

Overall i am really happy with the R86k i spent on a new bike from Yamaha its good value for money if you want a new DS bike.