Matroosberg... the final frontier...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevgh0

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
NER-A-CAR
So it all started with us wanting to ride some rocks and see some snow... What originally started off as an anticipated 4 bike ride turned into about... err

15 bikes?

5 XR650R's
1 F650GS
1 XT500
1 DRZ400
1 KTM950SE
1 XR400
1 KLR650
1 WR450
1 KLX450R
1 530ECW
1 DR650

We headed up the mountain in small groups and the lighter bikes went first. We hit the peak in about 30 minuts and had a short time for some pictures.

Photo-0046.jpg

Photo-0047.jpg

Photo-0048.jpg

Photo-0049.jpg

Photo-0050.jpg

Photo-0052.jpg

The route was pretty easy and simple getting to the top, with a couple of step up and drop offs but nothing major. On the way back we ended up doing a loop around "die nekkie" and this is where i had the my stuff booked for me.  I can honnestly say its the most technical route ive ridden. At some places I thought that id never have the balls to go up there... but i did anyways... in the beginning half meter drop offs with snow and wet rocks was only the start of it... I finnished of with pumped shoulders, never mind forarms!

By far the best ride ever!  :ricky:

Guys post em pix

Hey Stev0, that looks awesome.  It must have been a hell of a ride!

Ya Ya Ya ...enjoy riding while some of us can only read about it...sitting with a cast on there arm!..soon my friend,,,soon :D

The route was pretty easy and simple getting to the top

:biggrin:
perhaps for you guys on plastics yes!!

for the rest of us mortals there was a good 10-15min period of slipping and sliding at that loose section in the beginning.
problem was that if anybody stopped for whatever reason, everybody behind was screwed as well!

excellent fun day though!
haven't had such a hard ride in a very long time..

Some of the bikes at the reception area – lots of red!

P0000001.jpg

The start of a really loose section. If you make the mistake of stopping or stalling it’s a BITCH to get grip again; resulting in some serious huffing and puffing.

P0000002.jpg

A good example of what happens in this section.
The guy at the top had to stop as there was someone stopped in front of him.
This causes a chain reaction backwards. Stopping is a bad idea!
Once you’re going DON’T STOP..

P0000003.jpg

Cruising up..

P0000004.jpg

A good spot to relax – this is the spot where you return to after going to the top.

P0000006.jpg

I was amazed to see how much snow is still around!

P0000007.jpg

Michiel and I were the last to go up to the top and we left the rest of the group to start their descent.

P0000008.jpg

P0000009.jpg

P0000005.jpg

Michiel doing a good job of parking!

P0000010.jpg

all in all a great day - Stev) thanks for organizing
everybody enjoyed themselves (i think) - might be some sore bodies tomorrow!

Hi

Jip, definitely was a fun day out! Always nice to work up a bit of a sweat on a Sunday. Stev0, I don't know about it being easy (well, as MrBig said: Maybe on the plastics), but it was definetely alot easier than last time. So, what changed? New tyres (makes a HUGE difference) and alot less stopping... DONT STOP!

MrBig, thanks for the pic of my Dakar on her side... I believe this is a photo of your first fall :evil:
CopyofDSC00562.jpg

And then just some very random pics
CopyofDSC00563.jpg

CopyofDSC00564.jpg

CopyofDSC00565.jpg

CopyofDSC00566.jpg

CopyofDSC00570.jpg

When you're on a "big" bike, this is where you have to make the choice on whether or not you want to screw up your bike even more...
CopyofDSC00583.jpg

And then just a random pic from the viewing point... Its high. Its REALLY high. This is where the guy fell to his death earlier this year... so be careful!
CopyofDSC00573.jpg

Nice pics. Good to see Andre and Michiel went to the top. I know that last hill climb was monsterous on the heavier bikes so big up!

Check this little section.
20957050Medium.jpg

to put in perspective...check it with a cruiser on it!

20957083Medium.jpg

Hey boys, thank you very much for another GREAT ride. Special thanks to MrBig
who accompanied me to ride that last bit to the very top of Matroosberg. I went
up that mountain to go finish unfinished business.

Will post my pics tomorrow. Thanks for some great shots. I stopped on our way down
to take a picture of "my" rock. On the way up that last insane bit I got that target fixation
thing and planted the KLR firmly on this one. Both wheels were off the ground.

Attachments

• P000001011.jpg
    P000001011.jpg
    131.8 KB
haha, that slide was no laughing matter :) At that point he had probably already gone 5-10m. We were al watching... waiting... waiting for that fall... but it never came :(

Great stuff !!! This route is definatly on my short list !

Hey.  Again an awesome ride - great pity i missed it.

Leftless

A few pics :thumleft:  My camera lens was dirty, reason for blur on pics >:D

Thanks to all, lekker ride :ricky:

Attachments

• 2pigs.JPG
    2pigs.JPG
    52 KB
  • 3littlepigs&bigbadxt.JPG
    3littlepigs&bigbadxt.JPG
    57.4 KB
  • 4BRP.JPG
    4BRP.JPG
    79.7 KB
  • Danie Celeb XT500.JPG
    Danie Celeb XT500.JPG
    59.8 KB
  • Beserker.JPG
    Beserker.JPG
    27.6 KB
more

Attachments

• aflinks.JPG
    aflinks.JPG
    59.6 KB
  • klim.JPG
    klim.JPG
    38.6 KB
  • klim2.JPG
    klim2.JPG
    34.7 KB
  • Openopenop.JPG
    Openopenop.JPG
    29 KB
  • JaquesXR650R.JPG
    JaquesXR650R.JPG
    27.4 KB
last 3  :biggrin:

Attachments

• vertigo.JPG
    vertigo.JPG
    40.4 KB
  • zigzag.JPG
    zigzag.JPG
    59.7 KB
  • zigzag2.JPG
    zigzag2.JPG
    38.9 KB
Stev0 said:
index.php

2 pigs and the bad wolf trying to mount the piggy?

Ja, we parked them VERY close to each other for the night in a closed garage hoping for piglets, but alas....... bôggerall :'(

:dousing: :dousing: :dousing: :dousing: :dousing: :dousing: :dousing: :dousing: :dousing: :dousing: :dousing: :angry4: :angry4: :angry4: :angry4: :angry4: :angry4: :angry5: :angry5: :angry5: :angry5: :angry8: :angry8: :angry8: :angry8: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :cussing: :cussing: :cussing: :cussing: :cussing: :cussing:

Eish maar dit lyk lekker daar bo in die berg - het al gesien hoe die manne in daai area base jumps doen met batman suits - ek sal maar eerder die bike vat :ricky:

Congrats Kreef & Michiel - duidelik is julle twee manne met ballas om twee keer met dual sport bikes daar uit te ry :thumleft:

Daai perd met die XT vat egter loshande die prys volgens my as hy tot bo gegaan het  :wav: