Matroosberg... the final frontier...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I seems it went a lot easier this time.  More guys who just sat down and rode the bike up the mountain as well?  (Looking at the photos)

Hagar said:
I seems it went a lot easier this time.  More guys who just sat down and rode the bike up the mountain as well?  (Looking at the photos)

Oddly enough sitting down helped a lot with traction on the really loose and steep  gravelly sections.
I for one took my rear tyre down to about 0.5 Bar and except for the knarly bits with lots of rocks I tried to stay on the seat as much as possible - found it to work well.

MrBig said:
Hagar said:

Oddly enough sitting down helped a lot with traction on the really loose and steep  gravelly sections.
I for one took my rear tyre down to about 0.5 Bar and except for the knarly bits with lots of rocks I tried to stay on the seat as much as possible - found it to work well.

+1 ....standing up is for when you need some extra suspension.
You need that contact patch at the rear as big as possible, and me....I paddle as well  ;D

k, from someone who has done it twice (yes i had more experience and better tyres the second time...), I liked going up while standing alot more. Yes you need the weight on the back wheel (thus sitting) when you want to start moving, but as soon as I had any movement, i was onto the pegs. Felt alot more in control than while i was sitting (yes, I also paddled up the mountain the first time, but no paddling is needed if your on the pegs).

But then again, my view might be biased as I just generally like standing alot more :) If you see someone standing at 140km/h on the N1, thats probably me  :pot:

Don't get me wrong - standing is the correct thing to do for all technical terrain.
Especially where the going is very slow and there is a risk that the front or rear might wander or break out.
It allows for a lot more control compared to when sitting.
Usually I would attack every obstacle standing up no exception.

However, in the case of those very loose gravelly sections with a steep incline that just goes on and on and on, a different tactic worked well (for me).
When you stand you have to lean far forward to avoid pulling back on the bars when it's so steep -  leaning over the bars also reduces throttle control and balance, there is a definite tendency to go faster than what is necessary which will cause even more wheel spin. This in turn decreases the margin for error considerably.

On parts of this track it is very important to avoid wheel spin at any cost as any and all traction is vital.

I agree with Mr Big...my bike has the handlebar raised which is ideal for my length, riding in sand (standing up) etc. but it made for a very akward standing position on a steep incline...was left either hanging onto the bars when standing on a steep incline (getting tired), or having my weight to forward.

Throttle control was not as good either.

Paddle is an exageration, but every now and then I had to dab which is easy when you are on your bum.

I noticed the guys falling couldn't get their feet out quick enough where a dab would have sufficed, remember we were really crawling up the mountain and the falling was more "falling over".

Anybody that did not have a falling over?  2TDan went up all the way, not spilling once, on his bum....maybe we should ask them.

Beserker said:
I agree with Mr Big...my bike has the handlebar raised which is ideal for my length, riding in sand (standing up) etc. but it made for a very akward standing position on a steep incline...was left either hanging onto the bars when standing on a steep incline (getting tired), or having my weight to forward.

Paddle is an exageration, but every now and then I had to dab which is easy when you are on your bum.

I noticed the guys falling couldn't get their feet out quick enough where a dab would have sufficed, remember we were really crawling up the mountain and the falling was more "falling over".

Anybody that did not have a falling over?  2TDan went up all the way, not spilling once, on his bum....maybe we should ask them.

I was lucky to not moer down, but coming down I nearly had the front wash out.

Stev0 said:
Beserker said:

I was lucky to not moer down, but coming down I nearly had the front wash out.

Baastid...rub it in.

bliksem this must have been a lekker ride to be on, god going and thanks for sharing.  :thumleft: :drif: