SLUMDOGS OLD THOMAS RIVER BASH 10/11 NOV

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vis Arend

Bachelor Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Honda CRF-250 Rally
jupiter planned a trip to our valley as part of his monthly outride on 10/11 November 2012. They asked us (Slumdogs) to join them on this ride and the one thing led to the other and before we knew a Slumdog bash was organized.

The bash was held at the Old Thomas River Historical Village.  Here a short background of Old Thomas River.
“Thomas River, named in 1801, takes its name from an English deserter, Thomas Bentley. Part of Van Der Kemps missionary, Bentley was killed by a poison Bushman Arrow while crossing the river, thus duly named Thomas River.
The original train station, sited between the stone forts, dates from the late 1870’s with the new station coming into being in 1926. The station saw its last train in 1948 when the new line opened.
Thomas River Historical Village, reborn in 2003, has been passionately restored by Jeff and Ann Sansom to take you back to yesteryear.”

The different groups left their places early Saturday morning (some left on Friday already and got lost on their way) and met at Middledrift, they took a scenic route to King Sandile dam, from there to Hogsback were they had lunch.  After lunch it was another scenic drive and short stint to Old Thomas River.

As me and the wife were forced to attended by cage I will leave the rest of the stories and most of the photos to the others to complete this RR.

Here is my contribution.

(Oops, got a problem with photobucket, will load pictures soon) Photobucket sorted, see post nr 24.

Please add all other contibutions hereunder.   :thumleft:

Must say, Happy Valley is looking good after all the rain.

Attachments

• t.jpg
    t.jpg
    124.8 KB
  • h.jpg
    h.jpg
    68.4 KB
That was a cool weekend, even if today hit 42 degrees at times. Thanks.

Safe and tired. Was a long day.

Thanks all for a good weekend. I'm tired and my internet is dead. Took lots of photies. Will sort and post it later.

Yep - it was a weekend full of fun.  We thought there would be 10 - 15 bikes, but at the end over 40 paid their duties and joined.

It was great to meet new Dogs and a pleasure to have Ou Bees with.  I'll take her again on any trip  :biggrin:

I'm not gonna say much, so let the kiekies do the talking.

Ou Bees.  Slumdogs stop.

main.php

Rooikransdam

main.php

main.php

main.php

Kally - our route man for the week-end.

main.php

Kally made sure that we stop at this old church that was build many moons ago.

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

1st stop after we met various other dogs at Middledrift.

Sandile dam.

main.php

Hogsback

main.php

main.php

On our way to Cathcart

main.php

Bed is made - we can sleep  ;D 

main.php

main.php

Soveeel plekke om te gaan sien....

Bly julle kom almal veilig tuis aan.

Ek wag vir foto's  

Heimer said:
Soveeel plekke om te gaan sien....

Bly julle kom almal veilig tuis aan.

Ek wag vir foto's 

Thanks Heimer - hulle kom.  Daar is so baie ouens wat fotos geneem het.

Ou Bees said she would go with if she could go for a run the next morning . . . and a promise is a promise  :deal:

main.php

While she was running I played around with the camera - not that I know what I do  :eek7:

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

Thomas River from a distance

main.php

Irish is leading the group on the private property

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

To each and every one - A BIG THANKS

Veilig by die huis... baie dankie almal vir 'n lekker naweek met nuwe vriende. As 'n newbie het ek baie geleer. Sien uit na volgende keer! :ricky:

Dutchman81 said:
Veilig by die huis... baie dankie almal vir 'n lekker naweek met nuwe vriende. As 'n newbie het ek baie geleer. Sien uit na volgende keer! :ricky:

Lekker man!!  Waars die kiekies??

Ja, dit was maar moeilik om vroeg huis toe te ry, maar "duty calls" partymaal. :p

A great thank you to all involved in organizing this mini bash. It was a privilege to be part of it and an honour meeting new dogs that were only virtual friends before. Just arrived back home after an extremely hot day for riding. Pity I had to leave the group in Stutterheim, but it would have become very late for me if I stayed any longer. Irish (hope I have the name correct) I hope the injury to your shoulder is not serious. Speedy recovery my friend.

Decided against good advice to go via King Williamstown and Peddie to Grahamstown and glad I did. Some roadworks and one stop-go, but other than that a beautiful area. At Peddie the heat became noticeable so I drenched both myself and Mrs Bie with water which lasted about 10km before we were bone dry again. Repeated the same in Grahamstown and when we went through Alicedale we stopped at the Bushmans Sands hotel for a few cold ones and lunch whereafter we jumped into the swimming pool, ATTGAT and all to cool off. That definitely made a huge difference and we made it to friends in Kirkwood where the procedure was repeated in their pool. Got home at about 18h30, tired but fulfilled. Thanks to all.  :thumleft:

What happened to IRISH.  ???  Very glad to hear others are safe home.  :thumleft: 

From our side also a huge thank you for all attended and meeting new and old.  Looking forward to see again.  :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:

Dit was heerlik om ou vriende weer te sien en nuwes te ontmoet.  Dankie vir 'n heerlike kuier.  Net jammer ons moes dit in 'n cage doen, maar een van die dae is ons weer op wiele.