XR650L - Oil Leak - Crack in Frame Weld at Tank Bracket

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

raphaeltube

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Yamaha XT 660 Z
Hi

I have an oil leak :mad:

For those that don't know this type of bike, the oil is in the frame (part of the frame is the oil tank/oil cooler).
There is a little bracket welded to the frame at the front of the bike that the tank mounts on to, and the weld there has cracked a little & opened an oil leak.
I suspect it wasn't designed for the combination of the heavy (larger aftermarket) tank & the kind of vibration and other forces from me riding/dropping the bike.

Has anyone repaired this kind of thing before? -or had it done (I'm not planning on doing it myself).

Ideally I'd like to avoid stripping the entire bike, and rather get away with just removing the tank & battery (& maybe a few other nearby bits). The problem I forsee is cleaning in the crack. & dealing with a cleaning agent in the bike.

I spoke briefly to a welder who basically said it shouldn't be too difficult to weld, ans long as it's clean.

Any suggestions on how I go about this?
-drain oil (obviously), then:
-pour some thinners in? -if so do I need to worry about a little that might stay in there & get on the oil filter etc?
-would I need to open the engine (clutch cover) to get more oil/thinners out?
-should I be removing the CDI (as well as the battery) so as to avoid damage from the welder?
-or is there no way to avoid completely stripping the whole bike?

Also, I have a good contact to do the work in Montegue gardens, but I'm in Stellenbosch.
Anyone know some good welders nearer to Stellenbosch?

Lets hear your stories...

-R

Attachments

• Oil Leak - Frame at Tank Bracket sm.jpg
    Oil Leak - Frame at Tank Bracket sm.jpg
    492 KB · Views: 336