Eastern Cape: Port Elizabeth to Steytlerville (The Groot Kak episode)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drusky

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1100GS
Region: Eastern Cape
Start: Port Elizabeth
End: Port Elizabeth

TO STEYTLERVILLE, THROUGH THE HILLS BEHIND LADIES SLIPPER AND BACK

This is my first ride report, the ride itself is not a first. I expect that many of you horrible characters living in PE have ridden the same roads and eaten the same dust. My report is therefore aimed at sharing the unusual experience that I had. I expect I will be chastised for things I neglected to do and given pointers for trips to follow, but that's why I'm here :D

Some rider backround:

Rider:
I have never been particularly interested in being a biker. I bought my first machine as a means to an end. I wanted to save my car from the sun and sea air down at UPE while I was studying. In my search for an old CD200 I managed to pick up a 1981 CB650C for half the price of those hardy delivery bikes. That was 1999-2000. I still have that machine. Through my old Honda I developed a keen interest in motorcycles.

While I still don't see myself as a biker I do love the outdoors and exploring our amazing country and experiencing the adventure that goes with it. The bike is still a means to that end but I have to confess that I have developed a love for the machinery and an even greater delight in the way it can deliver me to the more desolate reaches of the Eastern Cape.

I blame my move towards adventure riding on my good friend Marc (Scumdog). He had bought an old '94 Funduro and wanted to go for a ride. We ended up on the Elandsrivier road which takes you around the back of Ladies Slipper to Patensie. After that short trip my poor CB650C was covered in dust and I was left feeling very guilty about taking the old girl over such a rough road. I had to get a dual purpose machine... to ease my conscience ;) In the past I had spent an unhealthy amount of time ogling the classics on this site, beemergarage, I am as a result smitten by the horizontally opposed twin, that boxer engine is a thing of beauty to me. It was only a matter of time before I found my '99 R1100GS, here in PE nogal.

Riding experience
This back road riding is still quite new to me. Before this excursion I had done the Baviaans trip once, a few short rides around the back of Ladies slipper to Patensie and one through the veld round the back of Kwanobuhle to Uitenhage from PE. I felt that I was becoming quite good at handling the big beemer on these back roads.

The Trip
My riding buddy Marc had just returned from the UK, it was time to venture further afield.

No ride around the back of Ladies Slipper happens without a stop at Uncle Freddies for a violently orange coloured ice-lollie.

At Uncle Freddies we see a dog with a really long nose. He looks like a Womble but I'm sure he's not from Wimbledon.

Your first point of interest along the Elandsfontein rd is this house above the Balkrivier bridge. There is a clever old man living in that house who knows a lot about the area. For instance the Balkrivier is so named because of the noise oxen made as they pulled the wagon across the river... they would "balk". The house itself was prefabricated in Scotlant in 18voetsek and then shipped out to ZA for assembly. Well... the inner walls are precast. The outer walls are of native rock.

A couple of kays down the road is this funny little abandoned cottage, as luck would have it I have to take a call. A phone call... truly.

Another couple of km and you get your first glimpse of the Cockscomb. The road is very good, my big BMW chortles along happily taking the bumps and odd sections of loose rock in its stride, the only cause for concern is the occasional detour due to road repairs. Damage caused by the heavy rains we had about a year ago. The detours are all well marked on approach.

Meheheh, an unusual sign up on the hills near the Cockscomb.

The panoramic views from the crossing in front of the Cockcomb are too beautiful. On a good day you can see all the way to St Francis Bay!

Coming up to the cross roads (Patensie/Steytlerville) Marc has a little mishap and damages his screen. Anyone know where one can get a tall screen for the old Funduros?

There's a lot to be said for integrated indicator lamps.

If you live in PE and you have a dual purpose bike you have to at least have done this part of the trip. The short way out is down to Patensie where there is a fantastic little coffee shop called Tolbos.

Dis 'n mooi wereld die!

We take the long road. This part of the trip is nice and slow. The road is now a twin track and the views are well appreciated as you burble along just above a fast jog.

You get these funny little place popping up in the most desolate areas... there seems to a pleb lurking there.

Meh... it is a pleb... an ugly pleb

We stopped for lunch at this tree. I eyed the green, green grass under it suspiciously and decided to call it the Peetree

You can't miss the Peetree, it's right next to the road and there is no other better spot to stop for quite a distance in either direction.

The incredible rocket/tomato/cheddar sandwiches I made are now an upchuck of colour; the roads have not been kind. The rocket/tomato/cheddar and stuff is still there, it just looks different.

Scumdog says he'd rather vomit in his shoe and eat his sock the next day than miss lunch.

Down it goes, very yummy. I knew I should have wrapped those sandwiches.

The roads up in these hills are rated as 4x4 only but they're not that bad, I reckon a 2X4 with diff-lock would be fine. This is the descent to the only decent river crossing on the way to Steytlerville.

There is a seriaas drop to the right.

Another funny little cottage. By this time I've noticed a knocking sound eminating from the front end of my machine. It's only present when zooting over the really rough parts of the road.

That's all for now I will post the rest of the first day, the Steytlerville part and my first big spill tonight or tomorrow.