F800GS and HIDs - are they such a good idea afterall ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moondog

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 1290 Super Adventure
F800GS and HIDs - are they such a good idea afterall ?

I have been running HIDs from a reputable vendor for over 2 years now - and am having some serious second thoughts ....

I will not question the light output - it is significantly brighter and whiter!

However ....

1. I have had 2 different types of balasts blow - replaced 100% without any questions - so great service - but does raise a question on the reliability of these units on an offroad bike where they are subject to a lot of vibration.

2. More concerning! My reflector (the silver part inside the headlight) has started to burn black / smoked above the HID bulb. Investigation on the net - including on AdvRider seems to indiacte that this is not uncommon - with this type of upgrade on bikes (incl the 800) and cars - the reflector is not made for this type of bulb - the light pattern and heat dissipation are different to normal halogen bulbs - so even though the system only uses 35W vs 55W halogen, it can concentrate heat differently. Also the burning could be as a result of insuficient UV protection on the bulb - so not the heat but the UV that burns the reflector ?

3. While investigating this, I came across a ton of info on why the light pattern of these aftermarket installations is wrong - resulting in light ending up in all the wrong places in front of the bike - as a result, these upgrades are illegal in the US and many European countries - if your use HID, the projector / reflector must be made specifically for that type of bulb. Personally this doesn't bother me much, because they put out so much light that I definitely can not argue that I can see better at night - regardless of the distribution pattern - and in all honesty, I don't get 'flashed' for bright lights too often. See https://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=549199 for some more info on this one ....

My question : If you run HID's - please check your reflector - any indications of burning black above the bulb ?

My current thinking :

I will probably have to replace the headlight!!! $$$!
I will go back to good quality H7 halogen bulbs
I will look at installing HID spots that were designed to use HID bulbs from scratch.