10-16 December, Stellenbosch - Port Alfred - Stellenbosch

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lonerider

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1150GS Adventure
Tentative idea, still working on the details. Can't stray too far, been told by work that I have to be able to get home and be ready to fly out within a day or two... :(

10 Dec - Stellenbosch to Ladismith via Laingsburg & Rooinek Pass
11 Dec - Ladismith to somewhere on the coast (Humansdorp area maybe) via R327 (Cloetes Pass and Du Plessis Pass)
12 Dec - wherever on the coast to Port Alfred
13 Dec - R&R
14 Dec -  Port Alfred to Willowmore (via Grahamstown, R400, Jansenville, Klipplaat, Swanepoelspoort)
15 Dec - Willowmore to Greyton (via R341, R62, Tradouw Pass, N2, R406)
16 Dec - Greyton to Stellenbosch via Berea, Villiersdorp, Franschhoek.

Some big days, not enough dirt, but hampered by work constraints.

No accommodation booked yet - any pointers? Not tenting (don't have one yet, nor a luggage system for enough paraphernalia).  :(

Considering Baviaans instead of route via Willowmore: Do I need a permit to travel through in one day? Is it feasible to do it in one day? Is it still do-able after all the rain?

I'm a bit of a newbie when it comes to serious dirt-tracks, and this will be my first time out (big trip) on the 1150GSA. If I'm looking to tackle anything too serious, please let me know!

Might yet have to modify the plan further down the line, but any and all input welcome. Also, fellow WDs welcome to join in anywhere along the route! :)

(Why Port Alfred? I've been told it's a good place to see, and there's a friend there I want to look up.)