1150 fuel indicator

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

volroom

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1150GS
Over the long weekend (we had a long weekend) me and the missus left for Durban on the GS, my first real trip really..  :-[  It was great! Loved it. Anyways, I noticed that the fuel indicator would have one bar and I'd be worrying to get to a fuel station quick enough. Get there and fill up...and only close to 17 liters go in. That means that it had more than 5 L still in the tank but the fuel indicator was only showing one bar (and at times I'd be riding for some time with only one bar showing). I know there is a separate fuel light on the HUD that goes on supposedly when you've got 4 liters left in tank. The fuel light did come on at a stage, filled up with more than 5 liters. I checked my fuel consumption every time I filled up and got between 15.9 and 18.1 km/L with two up and fully loaded panniers/topbox. Can I then calculate roughly how much I will get on a tank, reset the trip meter when I fill up and judge according to how far I've got with regards to when I need to start looking for a fuel station? With a 22L tank I'd maybe be able to get around 360km... according to the mileage I got on average.

Is it true also that you can still have fuel on the one side of the tank whilst having little in the other. I think the fuel level indication part in the tank is on the right hand side of the tank (I'd for example have the bike on the side stand and the fuel indicator would show less fuel than what really was in the tank). Can it be that there might be more fuel on only one side of the tank and then the fuel indicator shows an inaccurate reading of the fuel level? If this is true, can it help if you lean the bike from one side to another whilst riding to sort of equalize the fuel on both sides of the tank?

I'm not doing a rider report this time, did not take photo's really on the way. But...I replaced the CAT with a Y-piece from Powerflow in Durban (the one that deals only with bike exhausts) so currently I've got a BMC airfilter, Booster plug and the Y-piece (standard can) and I must say the roll-acceleration is really strong, I believe a significant improvement over stock. BTW, don't take the N11 - Volksrust R23 toll road alternative when coming from Durban...LOTS OF ROAD WORKS!