1150GS: Three Issues

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krister

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS
Yesterday I went for a glorious outride via Sterkfontein to Harties.  It was good fun  :ricky:  However, there are some minor (though possibly risky) issues I would want to ask WDs' advice on:

1) Rear brake

Since I bought the bike earlier this year, there have been times that the rear brake has no pressure.  The first few times it always happened after riding around Northcliff's winding downhills, and of course my first solution was to check the brake fluit level.  The first time I checked it, it was fairly low so 'n refilled with Dot 4 and kept the little bottle in my top box for future use.  It then happened another few times, but by pumping the rear brake pedal (around 20 times) I would gradually get pressure again and then it would be fine - literally for a 1 000km or so...

Then it happened again yesterday, luckily not in a dangerous situation and close to home - and luckily a bike has a front brake too  :mwink:  Again I checked the fluid level and it was at MAX.

So, does anybody have experience of this intermittent and seemingly non-situational issue?  Any advice will be appreciated...

2)  Clutch pressure

When I rode to Potchefstroom for the Easter weekend as I was joining the N12 from the N1 (Southgate) and gearing down for the 80km/h bend, the clutch lever felt loose (almost no pressure) and the gear-down was noisy.  Through the bend as I geared up again it remained noisy (almost like my 50 felt when the clutch cable was worn - but the GS has a hydraulic clutch, after all...) and did so through Fochville and into Potch.  However, for all my short outrides in and around Potch for the remainder of the weekend - it was perfectly fine.

With yesterday's Harties ride, it happened again - but very slightly, and then seemed to correct itself after a few km.

Any ideas?

3)  Rattle behind spedo box

Since about 2 months ago, I intermittently experience a rattling sound behind the spedometer box at high revs, 5th or 6th gear, going above 120km/h.  Needless to say, it's kinda hard to see what's going on there while riding, but I suspect it could be the rev counter cable banging against the fairing. 

Why is this happening?  If, indeed it is the rev counter cable, should it be replaced?

So:

Any advice will be appreciated  ;)  All of these issues seem to not follow any particular pattern and, as I ride every day, this is very confusing to me as I don't know the bike that well, yet...