15 min idle test - please help urgently!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Katools 11

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
Hi Guys,

Need your help to hopefully sort a problem on the bike.

It seems that I need to check the TPS but KTM dealer at Raceworks can only assist me in two weeks  :patch: :patch:

As crazy as life seems to work out we planned a trip starting this weekend and as you do i decided to service the bike, fit new tires and what what. :-\

So after getting the bike back last week friday i went on a little 400km cruize to Loskop and around cullinan just to discover the next problem!!!!

Bike starts fine, idles fine and runs fine all the way to 9000rpm.
Bike then has no problem gearing down and also hardly seems to cut out when pulling the clutch in at cruising speeds (130/140km/h) (i say hardly as this happened once)

So here is the problem, the next happened as i went along my jolly drive in the mud and awesome scenery.... the bike decided to start cutting out when i get down to first gear. The motor does not die until i reach idle revs and then use minimum acceleration to move along. Even if i stand completely still and pull away slowly the bike dies. If i accelerate from stand still with the revs more than 2500 or so there is no problem and the bike goes fine.

The boys at raceworks said it could be a problem with the breather pipes under the tank that might not be in the right places, or that the petrol pump is faulty (I just replaced that at trax so doubt that being the problem) or if none of this is a problem they need to check the TPS.

According to them it is not a mapping problem.

So my question to you guys is to please explain to me what and how exactly the 15 min idle test works and if anyone might have other views on what the problem might be please share it if possible.

I looked at some of the post and it seems that this problem is fairly common.

I am almost certain my trip this weekend will be cancelled due to this farking issue but maybe the idle test sorts the problem