My Kove 450 Rally February 2024

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Only if it's a Japanese one, as this is about Rice against Nuru!
No beerguzzling yodeling Austrians allowed in this serious see-to-ing, insult is intent and intended here!
Mine is a Chinese one built in Italy, not an Austrian one built in China. Does that count?

No, only Nuru 300's allowed to compete.
Or 300 Geisha's, a whole lot better then.......

@Vilaishima & me went for a ride today, starting a bit late due to other commitments.
We did the Kanaal Roads starting from Harties, then on to Beestekraal where we had a brunch, and from there we took the other Kanaal roads back home-ish.
Rolf had not been there yet so this all was new to him, he brought his SWM300.

We met at the Wimpy @ Engen @ the crossroads just past the tunnel/damwall.

image0.jpeg

On the way to there I noticed a better response of the engine now due to the larger rear sprocket.
It lifts the front a bit easier, and the 6th Gear now is a proper gear instead of an overdrive... at 100kph the engine spins 6000rpm and all is dandy, in fact I now hook 6th when poerpoering at a lot lower speeds also - so @FredK , if I were you I'd get a 53T sprocket, plus then also a new chain of course.

image1.jpeg

I didn't take many pics but if one hasn't been along the Kaal Roads yet one has to stop a few times....

image2.jpeg

At Beestekraal we had a brunch, and going back the SWM needed petrol to make it home, a 7L tank is a bit small....
We rode the Kanaal road back, direction Brits, but this now seems to end in a farmland... so we rode the big roads back.
Was a lekker day! (y)

image3.jpeg

image4.jpeg

View attachment 878519

This was quickly mounted to the cush drive - lookie below.
It all looks and feels sterling stuff, and this is one thing what sets the Kove apart from the 500 - comfort!
Maybe I'm getting old now, or soft - or both, whatevs, but I like it (y)

View attachment 878520

Anyway, more to follow, dinnertime now for me..... 🤟

Who sells these locally? (JT TwinStar rear sprockets)

Last edited:
I obviously got mine from Offroad Cycles Dom, no idea who else sells them because it was the first time I saw it.
Phone them? (y)

I obviously got mine from Offroad Cycles Dom, no idea who else sells them because it was the first time I saw it.
Phone them? (y)

Thanks - I am in need of some abuse :ROFLMAO:

I believe we will ride in Nam together in June 👍 Really looking forward to it.

Moto Bike Shed just announced they are the appointed agent in the Western Cape...will certainly go and have a look at this awesome looking bike....they are unveiling it tomorrow morning!

I have a question, with the oilcooler where it is, does it not become clogged when riding in the mud? Also, perhaps I missed it, can you adjust the rear shock?

I have a question, with the oilcooler where it is, does it not become clogged when riding in the mud? Also, perhaps I missed it, can you adjust the rear shock?
The rear shock (and the front forks) seem to be a 1:1 copy of the Honda CRF450L (and some CRF250/450R) Showa suspension.
I had a look into those 49mm Closed Chamber forks and have to admit that it all looks very high quality inside and out. I assume that most suspension parts are interchangeable between the Kove and Showa (Honda) shock and forks.

I just now returned from Namibia, Hardy's Specialized Adventures Kaokoland May Tour, which I did on the Kove.
And a week or so before that I did Wildwood's Lesotho/Wildcoast tour also, after which the forks were tended to by Foxi above.
I'll report on this all later, unpacking my shit and other stuff first now....

I just now returned from Namibia, Hardy's Specialized Adventures Kaokoland May Tour, which I did on the Kove.
And a week or so before that I did Wildwood's Lesotho/Wildcoast tour also, after which the forks were tended to by Foxi above.
I'll report on this all later, unpacking my shit and other stuff first now....

Aah - I thought you may be doing Kaokoland also with John Wood as he said there was also a Kove coming.

he said there was also a Kove coming.

There was Dom, indeed mine - but during our recent Wildcoast trip Gideon Joubert, his bakkie's backup driver and sterling rider himself, who knows the areas well where we'll be going, mentioned I rather bring my 500 due to the rocky technical stuff we'll be doing, Robbie's Pass only a part of that. If you know Gideon then you'll know to heed his advice.

In Lesotho I cracked the carbon skidplate in two places on rocks plus sheared off the bolt holding the sidestand switch. This caused the exhaust's midpipe hanger to break off also. In addition the chain-guide's metal bracket was a bit bent causing the guide's plastic bit to rub on the rear sprocket a little - both items replaced in Windhoek just prior to the Kaokoland trip, and these are fine still.
I have to check properly still once I get the bike back but the skidplate still holds up well, however I rather not risk further damage - and therefore I'll be bringing the 500 for this trip rather, after all Wildwood does not call this a 'Wild' trip for no reason ;)

Bottom line here is Dom, the Kove's an awesome bike but not a Roof Enduro tool, so for Wildwood's Wild Kaokoland trip I'll be using my 500, I have one after all.
Will chat with you atop Robbie's, rest arrured your work will be cut out for you there 😋

Last edited:
you particularly love the Bike's "Touring", and obviously with that also the long range ability??

Oh zuddup Petri, is me getting older obvious?
😋

The Kove's a Rally bike, therefore perfect for those type of long tours.
But it's not an enduro mountain goat, so it took some strain in Lesotho.... where John & me were dicing up some long rocky shite tracks where the belly took some hits.
John likes this bike also, but hindsight - always 100% clear hmm? - tells me I better should have trundled up those mountains.... but boys always will be boys, and my weak spungy rubber arms get twisted in an instant ;)

The long tank is simply awesome to have, 30 frikkin liters total in a bike without making it bulky or top heavy, it all sits in a slender almost plastic-like bike! The weight is neither high nor noticeable, and it is ideal for long distances, and yeah, even on pavement.... but pick a point on the map and just go there - the bike will do it all, even when an unforeseen shitty section crosses your path.

There was Dom, indeed mine - but during our recent Wildcoast trip Gideon Joubert, his bakkie's backup driver and sterling rider himself, who knows the areas well where we'll be going, mentioned I rather bring my 500 due to the rocky technical stuff we'll be doing, Robbie's Pass only a part of that. If you know Gideon then you'll know to heed his advice.

In Lesotho I cracked the carbon skidplate in two places on rocks plus sheared off the bolt holding the sidestand switch. This caused the exhaust's midpipe hanger to break off also. In addition the chain-guide's metal bracket was a bit bent causing the guide's plastic bit to rub on the rear sprocket a little - both items replaced in Windhoek just prior to the Kaokoland trip, and these are fine still.
I have to check properly still once I get the bike back but the skidplate still holds up well, however I rather not risk further damage - and therefore I'll be bringing the 500 for this trip rather, after all Wildwood does not call this a 'Wild' trip for no reason ;)

Bottom line here is Dom, the Kove's an awesome bike but not a Roof Enduro tool, so for Wildwood's Wild Kaokoland trip I'll be using my 500, I have one after all.
Will chat with you atop Robbie's, rest arrured your work will be cut out for you there 😋

Ok so cool, you will be on the trip. (y) I don't have a 500 unfortunately as fallback but my son will be with me as wingman, and he rides a 701 like a plastic so can be called upon if this pensioner runs out of steam. 🙈

You too I believe ..... may I recommend to bring a spare clutch with?
It'll travel in the bakkie, and yes, I'm serious.
Look forward (y)

Already spoke to John about that a week or two back and he says he has spare plates. But ja, maybe I will also get.