1976 Ducati 860 GTS

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ATysterperd

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
Howzit dawgs!

So this will be my attempt to get this boney back to it's former glory. Now to start off with, this isn't the most exotic of vintage Dukes, but this one is for free. It's been hiding in skoonpa's garage forever, and since I'm back in Kaapstad with a bit of time on my hands I decided why the hell not!

I first set eyes on the bike back in high school, I remember it actually quite well. I was hanging out at a friends house, and all of a sudden this toppie on this blue Ducati rocks up. This oom is looking for his daughter, then my friend's girlfriend. My friend tune: "naai she's not there, but jislaaikit oom, is daai 'n ses silinder engine?" Back then I was a religious Bark Essay reader, and knew Ducati only made twins...still remember thinking this guy being a poephol for not knowing that. Anyway, long story short...I'm married to the daughter of that tops with the Duke now! Yes please!!!

Hard to believe, but my father in law is the second owner, after his boet who bought it new. He assures me the 28k km on the clock is genuine!  :eek: It has however been standing for the last 10 years, so there is quite a bit of work to do. No machanical issues though...

The plan is to get it to start first. I reckon the petrol in the carbs have turned to gunk, so cleaning the carbs and the fuel lines will be my first step. New plugs and oil will go in, and then well see if she cranks.

She's got quite a bit of rust and the majority of the rubbers are perished pretty badly and will need replacing. The engine also seems to have oxidised pretty badly. We don't have an unlimited budget, and as we don't really know what parts and labour is going to cost us, we'll take it one step at a time. But ja, the plan is to strip it down to the frame en make everything lekker nice again.

My father in law is quite a lekker oom, so I can just see plenty of evenings in the man cave lying ahead with some kakpraat and beer involved...in my book something that's pretty hard to top.

Here's a couple of photo's of what she looks like now.  O0

Attachments

• IMG_3443.jpg
    IMG_3443.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 347
  • IMG_3449.jpg
    IMG_3449.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 346
  • IMG_3455.jpg
    IMG_3455.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 349
  • IMG_3448.jpg