Resurrecting Hildr

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AntVan

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS
So just before Christmas 2023 I performed an unplanned functional test of gravity. Test results came back positive, gravity still works.

My GPS read 37 km/h the one second, the next point one second later the motorcycle was at 0 km/h. The mild steel crash bar hit a railway track and penetrated the left hand engine valve cover, which also moved back a bit and damaged the timing mechanism.

I intend to buy her back from the insurance and repair myself. The intention that this thread is a living document of the repair process.

So, let start with documenting the damage.

Beak took a beating.
IMG_7287.jpeg

As did the Screen and right hand mirror.
IMG_7290.jpeg

This is the portside valve cover
IMG_7288.jpeg

And now the scary part. if this is what the lower portside crashbar looked like after the fact, imagine what my leg would have looked like if I rode a motorcycle that did not have a horizontally opposed engine.
IMG_7268.jpeg

First step was to order the special tools from BMW. I will post pics when I receive them.

I will drop the engine out of the frame once I've upgraded my "Nissan Bakkie Canopy Storage Frame"