990 Adventure S Clutch blown!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Just Blip It!

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
Went on a very tough ride on Friday, we were scouting a black route for the upcoming LDBA event and ended up on an "opfok" of note! The path got steeper, more rocky and slippery with roots etc. Bikes were overheating and we were at the point of no return.
Then it happened my clutch started slipping..........I let the bike cool down but unfortunately we still had to negotiate some seriously tough sections before we got back on to a 'road'.  By the time we made it back on to the tar a 690 in the group also had a slipping clutch. I was the only 990 in the group of 690's.

This is the stuff we were riding........

DSC00030_zps5rkfcgl6.jpg

DSC00035_zpspqjc3de8.jpg

DSC00036_zps7ps5yjkq.jpg

DSC00034_zpsdvhuficu.jpg

I still rode the bike home slowly for another 40km. When I got home I dropped the oil and pulled the clutch out only to find that 2 of the middle plates had completely shattered into pieces, the other plates were all warped and burnt.

DSC00043_zpsk5jafl9i.jpg

DSC00044_zpsqiuqgicm.jpg

DSC00044_zpsqiuqgicm.jpg

DSC00040_zpslawx7pa3.jpg

Now I have only had the bike for 2000km, the bike now has 22000km. My previous 990S I rode for 38000km and also did some serious rough stuff with it without any issues. I also have a 990R that I have done 30000km without any clutch issues.
I phoned the previous owner an he told me that the clutch had just been replaced due to one of the bolts coming loose and eating the clutch cover, which I did see evidence of.........

DSC00046_zpsu2zjazmp.jpg

I have a few questions.......

Who else has had a similar experience?

Could this have been caused by incorrect clutch installation? Unfortunately I didn't check the installation sequence when I stripped the clutch out.

I did an oil and filter at 20000km when I got the bike and decided to use Belray semi synthetic instead of a fully synthetic oil. Could this have been the problem?

I have pulled the clutch jet and cleaned it......not sure if it was dirty or blocked. Could a blocked clutch jet contribute to this?

I maintain my own bikes, although my bikes are used in some extreme places I treat them with plenty of mechanical empathy and through plenty of kilos have never had a clutch failure so this worries me.

Kamanya come in..........what do you make of this?