ABS on gravel?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you use ABS while on gravel?

• Yes i do

Votes: 25 20.8%
  • No i switch it off

Votes: 61 50.8%
  • My bike doesn't have ABS

Votes: 27 22.5%
  • ABWhat!!

Votes: 7 5.8%

• Total voters

Zeff Cowboy

Living the American Dream
WD Supporter
Reaction score
Okay so i'm sure this thread has been done before but this is my first bike with ABS and we have lotsa newbies...  :thumleft:

The bike: R1200GS
The tires: Heidi's front and back
The rider: Experienced enough to stay upright most of the time
The question: Should i turn my ABS off when going offroad?

Okay so this past weekend was my first weekend offroad with the big bike. The only problem i had with it was stopping...  :eek: :eek:

I firstly turned the ABS off to see what i can do. With the 650 the procedure was use the rear brake and if needed add front brake. This worked well on the 650. On the 1200 i found the rear brake so sensitive that the rear would step out very easily. I suppose i will get used to the sensitivity. But the point is if it locks up at the rear it steps out and i loose braking power. It is obvious to me that if you want to stop this machine you will have to apply plenty onf front brake. I did not get round to practicing the front brakes.

I did a little test with the ABS on. I rode at about 50km/h and hit the rear lever. You could feel the ABS working and i was pleased with the performance. The rear tried to step out but the ABS acted and stopped the sideways slide. I did the same test at about 110km/h. Wham hit the rear lever. Guess what? The system malfunctioned... i heard a krrrrrr sound and the bike continued straight with very little braking power.  :eek7: Would applying the front brake in this situation have solved the problem?

I know the ABS works on the differential speed between wheels and therefore if the front is spinning fast and the rear locks up fully it would release the rear wheel. It would keep the braking power off that wheel until the two speeds between the wheels are the same within a certain range. It will then reapply the brakes. At high speed and low grip this could cause malfunction and therefore the warning in the manual.

What so you okes say? With or without?

No banter and kakpraat  :thumleft: