"Advised" to do this

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dw1

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R80GS
So I have made a couple of posts on another thread and was "advised" that this is the correct protocol - come here and do an introduction.

I have been riding bikes for 3 decades - started off with AG175 ( This was a great bike - high and low gears like a tractor) and currently have a KTM 950 Adv. Various bikes of all sorts of vintage in between. We live in the Little Karoo but we have an apartment in Dubai at the moment and spend most of my time in Iraq. My wife and I travelled all over SA and Namibia on bikes - mostly the 950 Adv. Went to some bike rallys - first one the Springbok in 1980 at Kayalami. Never got so wet before that and I dont think after that either. Pissed down with rain all weekend. After that enjoyed various other rallys - Buffalo in MAseru ( Nearly froze to death) Trout in Zimbabwe @ Nyanga Forest, Many Buffs, Rhine and Springboks after that.
Done lots of riding on DS bikes in Northern Kzn, Swaziland and Free State. Done 70000 Km on my XT500 and sold it for a song when it dropped a bearing at around 70000 km. Bought it new in 1980 for R1995. Those were the days.
KTM currently have about 40000 km on the clock all done in the first 2 years as I have been out of SA for some years now. Longest trip so far was Mossel Bay to Swakop for the Desert Run. Best trip ever - anyone with a DS should at least do one desert run before they hang up their boots.
Many trips all over the country, Lesotho and Transkei.

I have been reading quite a few RR's on here lately and enjoyed it. Will post a mugshot in the appropriate thread. Dont want to have kark from the mods right from scratch I guess.