Always tighten and torque nuts and bolts when working on your bike.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mikie

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS Adventure
Yes I did this, and its my own fault.. And as much of a lucky afrikaans box as I feel, I think its important to share this so that you dont take yourself out.

About a month ago I did a service on my final drive and shaft, replaced the from Shaft boot and replaced the Final drive oil.
I reassembled everything but out of laziness I didnt torque everything, I actually think I only hand tightened this bolt.

Over the weekend I had to go out to the shops, got on my bike in the garage and tried to roll it back out of the garage but it felt like the brakes were binding and not releasing,
It eventually rolled back, I had a quick look but saw nothing amiss

Off to  Northgate, buy my stuff and get back to the bike, kit up and get on, same thing again, something it preventing the bike from moving, at first I suspected a wheel lock by centre management but  there was nothing, 
Had a look again and saw nothing amiss again, got on, tried to roll back, no go, try forward, and give some gas and I heard a noise, but still saw nothing

A watching car guard saw, and pointed to something on the road, it was part of a spoke  :eek7:
And then I saw it, the final drive lower bolt was sticking out just over an inch, enough to catch the spokes, the result, 1 broken spoke and 2 bent

The first thing that went through my mind was, What IF????
What if it popped into the spokes while riding at speed? That Could have ended very very badly

Now I need someone that can replace 3 spokes in my rim  :-\

Attachments

• 2021-04-26 12.23.36.jpg
    2021-04-26 12.23.36.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 593
  • 2021-04-26 12.23.07.jpg
    2021-04-26 12.23.07.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 596