American Southwest loop

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Day 12: Las Vegas to Joshua Tree (continued)

The route was bustling with bikers and vintage car aficionados, each with their own unique stories, I'm sure.

Day 12 Pic 11.jpg

Day 12 Pic 12.jpg

At the pit stop, I was fooled by a sign warning about a dog—turns out, it was just a clever trick to keep the door closed.

Day 12 Pic 13.jpg

And just when I thought I'd seen it all, a truck hauling a ski boat appeared on the road in front of us. In the middle of the dessert..... It felt as oddly placed as Michael Jackson at a Sunday school party.

Day 12 Pic 14.jpg

Finally, we arrived at our motel, complete with a swimming pool, HBO, and in-room coffee.

Day 12 Pic 15.jpg

But, given the scorching heat, my immediate attraction was to the ice machine next to the reception. After settling in, I took a refreshing shower and wandered into town. The Joshua Tree Visitor Centre became my next stop, where I gathered information on the best early morning routes through the park to catch the perfect lighting for photos. The park ranger was incredibly helpful, suggesting a slight detour that would enhance our experience.

Day 12 Pic 16.jpg

As I gazed upon the Joshua Trees, memories of my dad, who grew up in the Kalahari, flooded back. He had a fondness for the Matopi tree, a sentiment I've carried with me. In his memory, I've even attempted to cultivate one in our garden in Klerksdorp, finally succeeding with seeds gathered from near Warmbad. Reflecting on this, I felt a deep connection to the land and a renewed determination to honour his memory, especially as I planned my early ride for tomorrow morning.

The motel room was spacious, offering a stark view of the arid surroundings from the veranda.

Day 12 Pic 17.jpg

During my walk into town, I stumbled upon something quite unusual—a vending machine dubbed the "Desert Ship," designed for dispensing water in bulk.

Day 12 Pic 18

Day 12 Pic 18.jpg

And prickly pears… that it sparked a craving for an ice cold prickly pear, a delicacy I've always enjoyed.

Day 12 Pic 19.jpg

Considering our dining options, the "Joshua Tree Saloon" seemed like the perfect spot for dinner.

Day 12 Pic 20.jpg

Last edited:
Day 12: Las Vegas to Joshua Tree (continued)

Day 12 Pic 21.jpg

Day 12 Pic 22.jpg

Our journey had its share of political sightings, including polarizing signs that added a layer of humor and reflection to our trip. (Spot the Trump sticker?)

Day 12 Pic 23.jpg

Unfortunately, our waitress' persistent errors made the saloon's distinctive charm unappealing, making for a less than stellar dining experience.

Day 12 Pic 24.jpg

Sharing my early morning ride plan with Vaughn, we both agreed it was a great idea. My plan is to get up early, leave the hotel and do a detour through the Joshua Tree National Park, and then be back at the Motel by 8am from where we can leave for San Diego. This will give Vaughn enough time to finish his early morning team calls why I have fun in the Park...

Preparing for an early start, we filled our ice buckets and retreated to our rooms, ready for the next day's adventure. The evening had its moments, including an encounter with a couple of guys in loose trousers, a reminder of the diverse tapestry of characters you meet on road.

Last edited:
Day 13: Joshua Tree to San Diego

Vaughn and I had our schedules to juggle; he had another call lined up for the afternoon, and we figured we'd part ways at a spot that just made sense, logistically speaking. Meanwhile, I was in the thick of budget season, with a couple of crucial emails I needed to fire off before hitting the road. Picture this: me, laptop in one hand—waiting for it to shut down—and my bag in the other, navigating through the morning routine.

Just before sunrise, as I flung the door open and prepared to face the day, the breathtaking scenery that greeted me stopped me in my tracks. It was one of those moments you just can't pass up, so I had to snap a photo. I carefully placed my laptop on the ledge while it was busy shutting down and scrambled to get my camera out. Bag in hand, I made my way downstairs, loaded up the bike, and I was off, feeling ready for whatever the day had in store.

Day 13 Pic 1.jpg

Entering the park was a breeze; my early bird timing meant I dodged the park fee—score one for the cheap seats!

Day 13 Pic 2.jpg

Day 13 Pic 2-1.jpg

The early morning sun was casting the perfect light for photography, so I took full advantage, capturing the beauty of the park from my bike.

Day 13 Pic 3.jpg

My curiosity got the best of me as I spotted signs for campsites and decided to explore. The variety was something else—Subaru cars and Jeeps decked out with rooftop tents, dome tents, and a few camper vans scattered about. It was early yet, but people were already emerging from their tents, starting their day.

Day 13 Pic 4-1.png

I made a stop at the skull rock sign, determined to get the best shot possible.

Day 13 Pic 5.jpg

Riding through the cool morning air was just the refreshment I needed. But then, it hit me—I needed to find a Joshua tree that would have made my dad proud. These trees, with their unique shapes, ranging from tall and majestic to short and shrub-like, reminded me so much of the Matopi trees back home. After spotting a few contenders, I found the perfect one and marked the coordinates on Putin, my trusty GPS.

Day 13 Pic 6.jpg

As I rummaged through my bags for the small metal plaque I brought along, the reality of my earlier distraction hit me like a ton of bricks. My laptop! I left it on the ledge outside my motel room! Panic set in as I ran through all the potential "what ifs." Had I backed everything up properly? Could it still be there, waiting for me? According to Putin, I was over an hour away from the motel, with another hour's ride back. No use in rushing back to the motel now. If it is there when I get there, I will be happy, if not then I will have some explaining to do…. Que sera, sera...

With my heart racing, I focused on the task at hand, satisfied with the tree I'd chosen as a tribute. I fired up the bike, ready to continue my journey through the park, with U2's "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For" playing in my head—a fitting soundtrack for the sea of Joshua Trees surrounding me.

I relaxed on the journey back to the motel, enjoying the scenery and taking photos while riding. Wang-from-Caddy-shack on-the-go style!

Day 13 Pic 6-1.png

Day 13: Joshua Tree to San Diego (continued)

When I ride into the parking lot at the motel, I look up to the 1st floor and there it is. My unclosed laptop is still on the ledge where I left it more than 2 hours ago. Well, well, well. What more can I say?

Day 13 Pic 7.jpg

Day 13 Pic 7-1.jpg

Day 13 Pic 8.jpg

I am relieved and my trust in humanity gets a huge boost. That is the way it is supposed to be? That is how we were brought up? If it is not yours, leave it alone. These lines have become blurry. What is the difference between taking someone’s laptop, car or bike, and downloading pirate software or music, or movies illegally? Or dropping your camera or cell phone in the water and claiming it back from insurance. And my favorite is watching DSTV on someone else’s account. To me, it is all the same. You are stealing. “Finish-en-klaar: soos Bheki oor sy vriend Agliotti gese^ het😊

Wanneer ek aan hierdie insident dink dan dink ek altyd die staaltjie wat my vriend Jaco my altyd aan herinner. Dit kom uit Orkney Snork nie… Dit is waar Ou Dik-Frik met sy seun (of kleinseun?) raas want die skool juffrou het laat weet dat hy iemand anders se pen by die skool gesteel het…. Dik-Frik skel hom uit en vra hoekom het jy die outjie se pen gesteel? Jy hoef nie penne te steel nie, jy kon net vir my gevra het vir een. Ek kon vir jou ‘n hele paar penne van die werk af saam gebrink het!! (Ek weet nie of die feite heeltemal reg is nie maar dit is die trant van die storie. Sal maar my feite met Jaco moet check op die volgende kamptrippie”).

I look up to the 1st floor and there it is. My unclosed laptop is still on the ledge where I left it more than 2 hours ago.

Ongelooflik!!! 👏 👏 👏 👏 👏 👏 👏

We end up on Interstate 10 east, and at Banning, Vaughn and I go in different directions. I chose a scenic and twisty route through the mountains, via Idylwild and Julian to San Diego. Our agreement is to meet at the hotel, and our dinner will be fish tacos at one of the on-street-joints in San Diego. The route was roughly 320km long but took me most of the day.

Day 13 Pic9.png

So, there we were, cruising along Interstate 10 east when we ran into our old friend again—the cross-wind devil. While these gusts are a boon for sustainable energy, they're a real pain for bikers, especially when you're trying to overtake those massive interlink trucks hurtling down the road at 75mph.

Day 13 Pic 10.png

By the time we hit Banning, it was nearly time for Vaughn to dial into a call, and we decided to part ways. The heat was relentless, with my bike's temperature gauge reading a scorching 101.5°F (38.6°C).

Day 13 Pic 11.jpg

Opting for a more scenic route, I took the twisty mountain paths via Idylwild and Julian, aiming for San Diego. Vaughn and I had a plan to regroup at the hotel and indulge in some fish tacos at one of the local San Diego street joints.

The initial climb up the pass is pretty steep, and I can feel my bike working hard beneath me as we ascend. After a while, I decide to pull over at a lookout point. It's the perfect spot to take a breather and soak in the scenery. As I turn around, I'm greeted by an amazing view of the town of Banning nestled below. The rooftops and streets look so small from up here, and it gives me a real sense of the distance I've covered already.

Day 13 Pic 12.png

The road to Idylwild winds through the mountain and is lined with trees and I make a couple of stops at some of the picnic spots and lookout points.

Day 13 Pic 13.png

Idyllwild is a fascinating place, bustling with tourists who are clearly here for some adventure. Everywhere you look, people are geared up with mountain bikes, road bikes, and kayaks. Some are just taking a break from a day of adventure running or hiking. It's obvious that this town is a paradise for outdoor enthusiasts. Whether you're into cycling, kayaking, trail running, or simply enjoying a hike, Idyllwild offers the perfect getaway for anyone who loves the great outdoors.

Day 13 Pic 14.png

And even a surfboard! 😊

Day 13 Pic 15.jpg

Coffee in hand I notice the woman who was seated at the table next to me was wearing a T-shirt that advertised a law practice with the tagline "Just because you did it, doesn't mean you're guilty." I understand the legal wordplay but I cannot help but think of certain circumstances that occur at work in which people read it in a different way... Have you ever had the "privilege" of sitting in on a disciplinary hearing in which there is obvious video evidence of the person stealing your merchandise, but the person continues to deny everything?

Day 13 Pic 16.jpg

With the heat bearing down, I soaked my shirt in water before venturing back out to get the natural radiator going while riding. Exiting the restroom, the waitress caught me with a cheeky smile, joking about my entry into the "Idylwild wet T-shirt competition."

Day 13 Pic 17.jpg

As I head out of Idyllwild, I notice signs indicating they're under "Stage 2" water restrictions. It gives me a familiar feeling, like I’m right at home. 😊

Day 13 Pic 18.jpg

The day was full of surprises, including a truck that screamed outdoor adventure and an airfield bustling with gliders, taking advantage of the great thermals in the area—they call it sky-sailing around here.

Day 13 Pic 19.png

I was able to capture this piece of art cleverly depicting wild horses leaping across the road while riding. With clouds gathering, it looked like rain might be on the horizon, but with the heat as it was, I couldn't be bothered to suit up for rain.

Day 13 Pic 20-1.jpg

My next stop was at "Mad Mike's Club House," where the front garden boasted beautiful oleanders—or "selonsrose," as they're known in Afrikaans. (I think Mike might have chewed on some of the leaves….). Inside, Mad Mike's reputation for crafting delicious salamis and sausages was evident. The T-shirts for sale had a cheeky message about Mike's sausages, that apparently, the college kids love. (The T-shirts at the back reads, “He’s got a sausage that drives me crazy!”) I shared a laugh with the elderly lady assisting me, but as tempting as it was to buy one, I couldn't think of anyone who'd wear it—at least, not when around me. :)

Day 13 Pic 21.png

Seeking refuge from the heat, I ducked into the Farmhouse Restaurant. Not particularly hungry, but desperate for some air-conditioned comfort, I ordered a salad just to justify my stay. It turned out to be quite the delightful choice. While cooling off and jotting down notes in my little black book, the waitress commented on the impending rain, wondering if I was sure about leaving. "That's exactly why I want to leave," I told her, eager to embrace the change in weather. Her understanding smile followed me out after another T-shirt douse in the restroom—ready for whatever the day had left.

Day 13 Pic 22.png

Day 13 Pic 23.jpg

Navigating the traffic in San Diego was a challenge, especially trying to find the Atwood Hotel amidst the maze of hotels in "Hotel Circle Drive."

Day 13 Pic 24.png

Vaughn had already made himself comfortable by the pool, a picture of relaxation with a bottle of Chivas on ice by his side, while I was still figuring out the right turn-off to our hotel. The adventure was close to the end, but wasn't quite over yet.

Day 13 Pic 25.jpg

Vaughn finds a charming street cafe that specializes in Mexican seafood (?!) and can't resist ordering a variety of seafood tacos. The place has a great vibe, especially since it's so close to the seafront. As we enjoy our meal, the sun begins to set, casting a golden glow over everything. Groups of joggers pass by, adding to the lively atmosphere. It’s the perfect spot to relax and savor the delicious food while soaking in the beautiful surroundings.

Day 13 Pic 26.png

There’s nothing quite like seeing a man and his best friend enjoying the beautiful sunset together. But always on the lookout for them sexy bitches passing by… Woof!

Day 13 Pic 27.jpg

Day 14: San Diego to Los Angeles

The final day of my grand American Southwest adventure beckons, and what a ride it has been! The quickest path from San Diego to Los Angeles might be via I-15 North, but where is the fun in that? Today's not about speed; it is about savoring every last moment. So, I have cooked up a route that'll take me from the hotel straight to Mission Beach, meander through La Jolla, and then hug the coastline on Highway 101 all the way up to Coco Beach. From there, it is a scenic detour inland towards Pasadena. Google Maps reckons it's a 214 km journey, promising just over three hours of pure, unadulterated road time.

Day 14 Pic 1.png

Leaving the hotel in the wee hours, I make my first pit stop to fuel up the bike.

Day 14 Pic 2.jpg

The world outside is still cloaked in darkness, and the Pacific Ocean sends a chilly mist inland, wrapping the coast in a thick, foggy blanket. But hey, I'm in no rush. With over 7,000 kilometers behind me on this trip, today's about taking it easy, enjoying a casual and relaxing ride. The only real stop on my agenda before hitting the hotel is Mountain View, Pasadena. With Putin (my trusty GPS) set for the final stretch, I'm ready to coast along Route 5/HWY 101, aiming for a mid-afternoon arrival. Blurry early morning pics...

Day 14 Pic 3.png

La Jolla greets me with its dark, misty embrace, but the surfers' parking lot is already buzzing.

Day 14 Pic 4.png

Despite the foggy conditions slowing my pace through Del Mar, cruising at about 35mph.

Day 14 Pic 5.png

I am struck by the road's bicycle-friendly vibe. Notice the “bicycles may use the full lane” in the picture below?

Day 14 Pic 6.jpg

A pit stop for coffee at "Philz Coffee" in Encinitas reveals the mist starting to lift. Over a "Jacob's Wanderbar Cappuccino", I watch a group of runners gather for their morning jaunt, dropping old running shoes into a donation box for charity—a small but meaningful gesture.

Day 14 Pic 7.png

The pedestrian crossing in Carlsbad catches my eye with its clever "X pattern" design, allowing walkers to cross diagonally—an ingenious solution that I haven’t seen before.

Day 14 Pic 8.png