Anti-Clockwise to St. Lucia.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bike
Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
This was our winter trip we did in May this year, ALLEN I would head SW from Pretoria whilst I headed NE from Great Brak, the half way spot was Colesburg and depending on the weather once there we would either go to Botswana and Northern Namibia which is unfinished business for us, (basically it's Namibia: 2 - Dinosaurs: 0 !) .... or up to St. Lucia and onwards to MP.
Perfect weather for the start of the 700 odd km day, I was heading for Klaarstroom where I'd turn right onto the R407 to Willowmore.

fakv.jpg

Great gravel road this is with nice closely spaced ups 'n downs to get into the mood.

c5w6.jpg

Turned left for Graaf-Reinet for a pit stop, then left town via the R63 to the N1 and on to Colesburg for the night.

I have always been fascinated with the Boer War and the hero's that emerged from those times, driven by the need to preserve our country and the sacrifices it took that allows us to live the life we do. Gideon Scheepers was certainly one of those men, driven by an unshakable belief in God and country and I have always wanted to spend some time at this memorial to him.

g1sf.jpg

rdn8.jpg

bu97.jpg

The R63 is another great little quiet gravel road with practically no traffic, one passes farms that look quiet too ... great places to live but I have no doubt that it has it's challenges out here too.

pj22.jpg

e9kg.jpg

e6i6.jpg

I spent half an hour just chilling out here ...

stlp.jpg

gets a whole lot better as we progress down. but unfortunately we didn't do much sand sand roads this trip

Colesburg has always been an overnight stop from me on various bike trips and now and again when forced to take 4 wheels instead. Conniston House has been welcome and serves a good breakfast so that was where we crashed for the night. The weather had been plenty rain up the Natal coast but had turned sunny and Bots looked to be getting the left over weather so the decision was an easy one: KZN it will be, neither of us had ever been to St. Lucia before you see. In hindsight we should have camped at the Dam, the Gariep Dam as it's got a cool campsite.

s6d.JPG

1f9d.jpg

ggn3.jpg

n0yn.jpg

xd0y.jpg

o7b3.jpg

tpz.JPG

I learnt to water ski at 4 on the Vaal River, so have always had an affinity to SA's dull brown river/dam water... somehow it's makes me feel at home.

v6s.JPG

Great to see the dam was full too.

i1fk.jpg

0blm.jpg

u7eq.jpg

We hit the road general direction East via Burgersdorp - Molteno - Ugie - Maclear to Kokstad for the night.

nlrk.jpg

Weird rain water wash formations along the way.

nfms.jpg

Nice and green in this part of the world in May.

rv2w.jpg

d7w6.jpg

By now the trip had taken on a character of it's own, the pace was slow, we just kept heading slowly East by a little North and would see what Kokstad had to offer.

The Old Orchard Guest House was just in the right place at the right time, 5km's from town, so that was tonight's stop.

q9y0.jpg

They were certainly a little wary of the bikers in us but put up a brave face ... and placed us far from the larny crowd.

t5n4.jpg

5kei.jpg

The accommodation was first class, the breakfast likewise. It was also chilly with lots of frost in the morning, the GPS was convinced we were at 1200m ... so who am I to argue?

Don't worry, it's a Honda, they love winter.

1tex.jpg

c22v.jpg

Yamaha's on the other hand need special treatment ...

cab6.jpg

Allen was woken by the birds, a nice way to start the day I think.

hqrk.jpg

If in Kokstad again I would have no problem staying here again.

wrud.jpg

wub5.jpg

n7dm.jpg

bnj9.jpg

It's been ... ah, something like 20 years at least since I last had a ride along the whole Natal South Coast other than a short stretch when Charlotte and I did a SA trip on the Kawasaki 1000R in ... 2000 I think it was ... how much has changed for all involved !

Never been to Port Edward either but Al had so he led the way.

o0l.jpg

kqgt.jpg

We go past this sign, stop up short and spent some time discussing whether of not we should offer them our services for the good of all humanity ... decided to have a beer at sea level rather ... that's what age does to you.

h2v7.jpg

yt2w.jpg

The great thing about tropical countryside is one all of a sudden pops out and a whole new world awaits  :)

o5hx.jpg

1nbn.jpg

On his trip down to Colesburg the XRV's speedo had given up the ghost so Al had no idea of speed, distance or tank range but our Nam trip a year ago had shown remarkably similar consumption rates up to 120kmh. We stopped wherever we could but could find no speedo drive unit for the AT ... they (the agents) all said it had never been asked for as a spare part before so they did not have any inventory. This would prove to only be repaired after the trip was completed. The nylon worm drive was stripped.

ax2q.jpg

Anyway, we slowly make our way up the very busy coast road ... it's nothing but house after house ... no wonder it's where SA goes on holiday.

We camp in Hibberdene camp site ... last time I was here the ride down was in the back on an El Camino bakkie towing a Jurgens caravan in ... ah, '73 I think it was. There were 6 of us in the back of that El Camino ... I dare any dad's to try that today!

9p49.jpg

I remember this to have been a moerse river back then ...

Of course nothing looks remotely like it did then, in fact it's become a semi permanent retirement camp site. R400k gets you a two bed brick house for R500pm in park fees.

pi1c.jpg

zptc.jpg

lddv.jpg

We continue North up the coast stopping at Honda in Umhlanga at their Gateway dealer, no luck there either for the AT.

Tonight's stop is the Woodpecker Inn in Richards Bay where Al has some family members ...

xy1.jpg

1ryd.jpg

Next day was all of 116km to St. Lucia ... my mate in GB's youngest sister owned a pizza joint here, St. Pizza it was called so I had to see where exactly that was. I can now see why it was a good business back then and still is it seems.

wgg6.jpg

7ttv.jpg

I have sailed this coast before in The Crystic Week regattas in the '80, and also a Mauritius - Durban Beachcomber Race that was one hell of a ride in a 52ft sled, 1760miles in 7 days 18 hrs.  

0zcz.jpg

y3o.JPG

6ac5.jpg

r1v0.jpg

As all good up country tourists must, Al dips his boots in the Indian Ocean.

oii.JPG

3jso.JPG

We camp at the Sugarloaf Camp Site all the way at the end of the road right up against the mouth of the estuary. Nice place but stay close to the main gate as things tend to grow feet and walk away around here we're told.

3im5.jpg

ltcv.jpg

9bpy.jpg

This was the high light of this trip ... lots of wildlife wandering in and out, what a fantastic spot St. Lucia must have been years ago if it's still great now.

757y.JPG

7ji2.jpg

2f6s.jpg

I'm woken just before 6am by the Hippo's making sure everyone for miles around knows who's in charge here.

6nkw.jpg

qzma.jpg

There's a lekker walkway out to the beach that's crosses over a Hippo bush track that they use to come ashore to forage at night.  

Sunrise.

ykxz.JPG

gkxx.jpg

mlce.jpg

v92s.jpg

Lekker to see the number plates of my old hometown where i grew up. Mossel Bay. What a lekker dorpie to have grown up in!!

Thanks for sharing your ride with us!!

spoedvark said:
Lekker to see the number plates of my old hometown where i grew up. Mossel Bay. What a lekker dorpie to have grown up in!!

Thanks for sharing your ride with us!!

Yep, Great Brak falls under MB municipality, however some guys here register in CAW George. It's still a lekker dorpie.

8)

Lots of warnings signs about to keep ones eyes open above and below water level here.

gvkt.jpg

6lhw.jpg

mv67.jpg

py3r.jpg

Get back after the early morning walk to the beach and these two Bossbokkies are out and about ...

i3e5.jpg

... as is this crowd of heavyweights still throwing their weight around.

3f4i.jpg

We do all we can to take the road to Cape Vidal but they will not budge on letting crazy bikers through ... pity as we believe it's great.

So we head for Swaziland ... and cross the border at Mahamba.

owm7.jpg

dfmy.jpg

I clearly did not do my homework on Swaziland as I expected plenty greenery and some mountains, but we get straight roads, a flat landscape and Swazi Vodacom that does not like RSA Vodacom. Anyway we find a nameless river and promptly name it Dinosaur River in our honour.

4hyj.jpg

lqdj.jpg

yrq1.jpg

I love this sign as we go through a nature reserve ... and 5 km's further we pass one guy sitting in the long grass oblivious to any danger.

6pfm.jpg

2gr7.jpg

8fgd.jpg

Before we know it we're at another border post that the name escapes me, we cross through heading for Nelspruit. Again we stop at the Honda dealer and again no luck on the AT's speedo drive, we stay just outside town at Nou's Toeka Lodge and change the brake pads on the AT.

dtf7.jpg

Off early the next morning.

zp6j.jpg

nl7m.jpg

odza.jpg

We're surprised by the volume of traffic on the SA side.

6pkd.jpg

Stunning sights at every turn so we take it slow.

jtmk.jpg

spr6.jpg

But reality intrudes just around the bend ...

5ck2.jpg

... we've been passing cars for 2km when we see this drama ... it takes over 40 mins for these guys to load and tie down the Toyota and the canopy that has blown off ... we contemplate pushing past on the right but what's the point - there's no rush.

4osp.jpg

We go over the Long Tom pass, amazing to think that in the 2nd last century this canon had a range of 9000m ! Today they produce fine expensive pots and pans.

q29q.jpg

We follow the pass, great views on either side, the Long Tom, viewed from across the valley where we have just passed an impact crater.

vt6e.jpg

Pilgrims Rest is still alive and kicking despite all the political drama about who has the rental rights ... there's plenty super bikes shooting past and we can see why.

mx6e.jpg

We try to get lunch at the golf club outside town but no luck.

ihgx.jpg

3l4m.jpg

ljf.JPG

To think the biggest nugget found here on one of the 4000 claims weighed nearly 6kg's or 214oz !!

lvdk.jpg

4krw.jpg

In 1911 this was the 2nd town in SA to be electrified.

o3li.jpg

0lon.jpg

We make it to Grasskop for the night, staying at the Summit Lodge just outside town. Nice place. The next day the weather has changed as expected so it was good we did all the sight seeing yesterday. We have done practically no gravel in a week so take a small de-tour the next morning but it soon ends in a dead end.

lqqi.jpg

f1tt.jpg

fxx.JPG

It's clear the weather is here to stay so we reluctantly head SW but not before a stop at the Blyder River Canyon. As we park the bikes a JHB tour bus pulls in with lots of travelers and they are soon chatting to us as we are from far away. We make some good times possible.

3m3d.jpg

ooy8.jpg

... then head down to the canyon.

zmj1.jpg

I have not been here since '78.

wvsj.jpg

xx1g.jpg

rn5h.jpg

qxh6.jpg

t8cf.jpg

vqx5.jpg

Whilst the previous photo shoot was in progress another couple had been lurking close by and on return they are still there, turns out they're from Germany and she too would love a shot on the Yam ... aber ja, naturlich schatz.

5a92.jpg

We hit the road for Bela Bela but stop at another nameless canyon and yes, it's now officially known as Dinosaur Canyon.

f0p9.jpg

dkmj.jpg

3ulw.jpg

c9yr.jpg

yhue.jpg

There's so much history in this part of the world, with great views and excellent road conditions.

We pass a Voortrekker grave site, something serious must have happened in 1848 as quite a few graves date from then.

iaey.jpg

n4i9.jpg

Can anyone tell me what trees these are with their lime green trunks ?

4owl.jpg

658w.jpg

c6rt.jpg

In Bela Bela we spend a night, Al's kids join us and we have a great time in the warm pools.

Hardies, my favourite birds.

vpp3.jpg

In PTA Al heads for home and I make the most of the trip back to Great Brak.

This gravel road (R795 I think it is) runs parallel to the N1 from Colesburg, starts just left of that new intersection under construction.

3phk.jpg

It's being worked on so I take it easy, no one passes me ...

8p50.jpg

... but I do see this handsome dude, a Roan Antelope.

nk12.jpg

rqwv.jpg

y3ba.jpg

5dmg.jpg

It's a pleasant de-tour to end this ride.

sfl3.jpg

xo36.jpg

Thanks for the good company. Till next time

8)

Thanks,Ian,for sharing this great trip.