Atlantis NEWB ride, and humility taught.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pleco

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS HP2
Before I start, this was such a nightmare ride, that I did not take any pics or video.

Where is BUZZ LY and ROOST when I need some assistance?! Julle droppers! (ek moet vir iemand kwaad wees)

Some back ground:

Krag Kris's son saw we had so much fun on our Middelpos trip, that he decided to get a bike as well.

He got a very nice GS 1100 off Bumtree. Not bad for a first bike. Anyway he was very keen, so I took him onto some grass, and showed him some tips and tricks. Got him to do some sand patches, and he handled the GS very well.

As Krag Kris and I had a LR competition in Atlantis, I thought I would take the Rubicon's KLR as well, as I enjoyed the last time in there. Luckily Shaun could not get a permit. Phew!

When we got to the gate, here is Shaun with the GS, ready for the sand. (Some misunderstanding apparently)

I thought, he has only had the bike (any bike) for the total of 3 days, but what the hell. If you can ride in sand, you can ride anywhere. And what is the best way to learn? :ricky:

After the background, here is the ride.

Shaun saw all this sand in front of him, and went down on the first patch. I came back, helped him up, gave some more pointers and off he went.

Went well up to the first dune we had to cross. After he fell the second time before the dune, I offered to take the GS up the dune. How difficult could it be? The KLR was on top already.  :biggrin:

Well I think I have cracked ribs on my left side, and my right shoulder does not feel completely attached. My bad back got completely rearranged, and I was winded for a while.  :eek7:

Still don't know what happened. But apparently it looked like I was doing sky diving!  :mwink:

Well, we were there and I am used to riding in pain, so we pushed the GS over the dune, and off we went.

Shaun kept up, until we had to turn, and he took out the GS's screen corner with his knee on the way over. His knee did not want to work after that.

And all this still on the way to Landy gat. We somehow got there, and parked the bikes.

After the competition, Shaun's knee was out of action. Krag Kris had to step up, and take the bike out. His only experience was the sand to Merweville.

We climbed the first dune and all went well. Krag Kris kept up, and then we had to turn up a small dune. Down he went, but at standstill, so no harm done. We gave him a straighter run up, and he cleared the first dune, and went down over the dune, facing downhill, with the bike following him, and pinning him down with him facing downhill.

No harm done, but now he was rattled.

We got the bike lined up, and off he went again. I made a few wide turns through the bushes, but for the last 3kms Krag Kris rode that bike as if it was on tar.

When we got to the exit, He was smiling broadly, trembling like a leaf, and saying: Whats all the fuss about? That was easy!  :imaposer:

So, you can ride a GS in the sand. Even as rank Newbs.
(Just don't hand it over to the slightly experienced KLR rider!)  :ricky:

Rynet, jy sal moet kom help volgende keer.

Jy kan mos daai GS in die sand ry!  :ricky: :ricky:

Three okes mowed down by the fat charging pig. Doesn't sound if it's good in sand at all  :imaposer:

Pleco said:
Rynet, jy sal moet kom help volgende keer.

Jy kan mos daai GS in die sand ry!  :ricky: :ricky:

Nee nie regtig nie , sal my eie RR moet opsit van ons gesukkelery van 2 weke gelede , ek herstel nou nog , veral daai tweespoor na die duine ! :imaposer:

Bietjie vasgesit  :patch:

Attachments

• Atlantis April 11 021 [640x480].jpg
    Atlantis April 11 021 [640x480].jpg
    36.2 KB
Rynet said:

Jy weet darem hoe om daai GS te begrawe.

Die permit se prys is die moeite werd, net om daai tweespoor mis te ry. As jy eers in die duine is, dan kan jy maar ry!

Pleco said:
Rynet said:

Jy weet darem hoe om daai GS te begrawe.

Die permit se prys is die moeite werd, net om daai tweespoor mis te ry. As jy eers in die duine is, dan kan jy maar ry!
:laughing4:
Ek gee nie om om te betaal nie , maar partymaal besluit mens op die nippertjie om te gaan en mens kan mos nie by die hek betaal nie , dis so irriterend  :biggrin: >:D