Autumn in Hogsback.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goby

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Kawasaki KLR 650
Decided to do a Hogsback weekend again. Locals suggested we return in autumn to see the trees change colour, but we were 1 month too late. All the colours were lying on the ground! Nevertheless, a perfect weekend was had, and we will return next year in autumn, to really see the leaves change.
Myself and Freda left PE on Friday morning early, and our first stop was Colchester. Just a quick stop and we stopped again at Stone Cresent Hotel, just outside Grahamstown. The mist on the roads were incredible, and we had to clean visors at every occasion. Next stop was Fort Beaufort Museum, for coffee and breakfast. Really nice place to stop. Discovered my camera was not working, both pairs of batteries were useless. Searched for a camera shop, bought a charger and new batteries. Continued taking pics with the cellphone until I could get the batteries charged. Then on to Hogsback. Just 10 km before Hogsback a previously disadvantaged individual decided to throw a beer bottle at us, but at 120km/h the KLR flew past him and he missed. I wanted to stop and explain the wrongness of his actions, but I only had 6 bullets, and there were about 40 people. I guess one day he will meet a biker that will explain it to him. Hogsback was perfect as usual, and we really enjoyed everything about it. My riding skills have also improved since last year, and the addition of the Penta exhaust really made the technical sections more enjoyable. (I will give a full report on the Penta later.)
Saturday was spent walking around and checking out the shops and taking photographs of everything that looked awesome. Ninaâ??s Deli and Tourist Info is a lekker place to hang out.  I checked the distance on the KLR later, and it was close to 8km on foot!! I can feel the muscles complaining today! After seeing all the sights not seen previously, we knew we have to return to see more.
Sunday morning we returned against our will, along the same route, and the KLR took us back to PE effortlessly.
I can definitely recommend weekends in Hogsback to anyone riding a DS bike. There are hundreds of roads and tracks to explore!! I will plan a trip again for April 2009.