Bargain tyre?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaybiker

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Kawasaki Versys
Needed a front tyre for my X challenge. Choices on offer were :-  Pirelli Scorpion rally, Annakee Wild, and the ubiquitous TKC, all in the R1300 ball park.

Then there was the Dunlop D606. Looked the business, pretty much the equivalent of the others, but R780.00. Might not last as long I thought, but at the price, so what?

Had it fitted and went for a ride. A short bit of dirt, and okay fair enough, but on the tar! Oh shit, I hope this thing soon wears out I thought.  :eek7:
It weaves, wobbles and 'floats' like a Saturday night pisscat at anything over 100. Faster than that I was scared to force it.

Needless to say I checked everything else. Fitted straight? check. All the things that were 100% before, wheel bearings, swingarm, head bearings (new), even the spokes.

So I made a few 'adjustments'. Dropped the pressure a couple of puffs, lowered the rear suspension a bit to get a bit more rake at the front, and - a bit naughty this - even 'nipped' the head bearings with just a tiny tad of pre-load. It worked a bit, I could now get to about 130, but with my guts feeling decidedly liquid.

I've not heard of anything bad about the D606 before, but is it a case of "Goed gekoop is deur", as they say?