Barkly Pass and Bastervoetpad

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EC biker

Puppy
Reaction score
Bike
Kawasaki KLR 650
I went on a ride earlier today up Barkly Pass, past Mountain Shadows and to the top of Bastervoetpad.
Surprised that the road wasn't wet after the rain and little sunshine we had for the past week.
First time I took the KLR out on a longer ride, and must say, I'm very happy with the bike so far.

Attachments

• IMG-20120205-00080A.JPG
    IMG-20120205-00080A.JPG
    85.4 KB
  • IMG-20120205-00082A.JPG
    IMG-20120205-00082A.JPG
    89 KB
  • IMG-20120205-00086A.JPG
    IMG-20120205-00086A.JPG
    151.3 KB
Beautiful area, must visit some day  :thumleft:

Agree Ian

I just saw Glen's ride report, "Elliot to Elliot", that he did in September 2011, very thorough and nice pics.
I only rode from Barkly Pass, Mountain Shadows, side to the top of Bastervoetpad today, then back again, I didn't ride down towards Gatberg, Ugie side.
The section I rode wasn't bad at all, some wet puddles here and there and only a few ruts, but good, even for me that has been riding quads up to now and have to get use to the balance of a 2wheeler.
There wasn't any washed away sections at the small cement bridges as depicted in one of Glen's last pics in his ride report earlier, some gravel has obviously been added recently

I plan on riding this route again in near future, so will take pics again and update status of the road.

I can't remember seeing one, but did you notice if there is a stone cairn at the top of Bastervoetpad ?

I only saw the old cemented cairns, as in my first pic, that has been there for years. The one with Bastervoetpad on it is on other side, if I remember correctly.
Don't think many people have been up there in the past week, only saw one or two tracks from the side I rode, and one of them was of a vehicle, most probably from a farmer that has cattle up there.
It has been raining and overcast in Elliot area for past week, but weather can sometimes be quite different at the top of Barkly Pass.

Always a nice ride especially in the rain.  :ricky:
Going there again in first week of April.
Will probably ride it twice just for the fun of it.
Will be spending a week in the area so hope the roads are all open.  8)

Mr.T said:
Always a nice ride especially in the rain.  :ricky:  :imaposer:
Going there again in first week of April.
Will probably ride it twice just for the fun of it. :laughing4:
Will be spending a week in the area so hope the roads are all open.  8)

With the right bait you can catch all the fish you want to.  :pot:

Ian in Great Brak River said:
Everyone that does this trip should place a stone on a cairn to remember Glen....

... my 5c worth.

8)

+100
The Baster is always special !  :thumleft: