Bas in Africa

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

darkhelmet

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin
Today I will leave home to start my trip through southern Africa.

in 2009 i visited South Africa, and had 3 weeks of fun riding a bike around. Did something like 5500km and felt is wasnt enough. So now I'm going back, but this time a little longer. I will be on the road for little over 4 months. I do keep a blog, but since y'all are probably lazy dogz i will do some reporting on the wilddog forum. Hopefully I will be able to entertain you with my reports and perhaps photo's (although taking pictures isnt one of my strongpoints).

Blog: https://basinafrica.blogspot.com

Some details about my trip:
Start - end: 1-6-2011 till 12-10-2011
Starting point: Port Shepstone
Halfway: Moshi, Tanzania
Finish: unknown, South Africa
Route:

BasinAfricaroute.jpg

https://maps.google.nl/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=nl&msa=0&msid=211667491440577269280.0004a496218340e6261e5&z=5

Bike: Honda Africa Twin
p1020469.jpg

Starting Odometer: 73.700 km

My last known location:
https://www.google.com/latitude/apps/badge/api?user=-8119649110271123775&type=iframe&maptype=roadmap

Good luck and most of all enjoy. Even shiet pitchas are pitchas of things we enjoy, so no excuses :mwink: :ricky:

The packing:

DSC_0047.JPG

trying to fit everything within a limited size and weight, so i can take it as regular checked luggage, was a bit of a challenge. Yesterday i discovered the scale is dead, so have to guestimate the weight...

The gear:

DSC_0052.JPG

Have arrived in Port SHepstone at The Spot backpackers.

Slowly getting back into the 'old' vibe. Good to be back!
Was picked up by Thomas from Moto Zulu. He was accompanied by Pete, who i also met 2 years ago in The Spot. Het was just shipping his bikes to Asia. Now he's back again, small world :). Pete has travelled the world the last years on an XT. RESTEKP!!!

Just heard that my bike needs to go through roadworthy, and then a TRN for me to get the bike registered. Hopefully I will get it done tomorrow so I get get going to Gauteng and take care of business....

My first beer tasted great after more then 24 hour travelling the boring way

Too bad there isnt an Android App to update this topic. My blogspot I can update from my phone :)

All my stuff i left home with. The big one is about 26kg:

1306920776475.jpg

I was dropped at the Spot and had a few beers. The guy who runs the place is really a character. Jokes all the time, and a catchy laugh. He has all kinds of stories. Below a picture of him telling a story playing cricket with the thieves that tried to rob the bar.

IMAG0061.jpg

Today i got the papers on the bike sorted. It's in my name now. A good feeling

P1020564.JPG

Tomorrow I will go on a ride with Pete and Bruce to the Oribi Gorge and back on gravel roads. Cant wait. But first a good nite sleep....

Thanks guys, nice to know some are reading :)

My bike in front of The Spot. The GPS is hooked to the battery, the Wolfman panniers have been on and fit perfect.

P1020565.JPG

Had a good brekkie aswell:

P1020571.JPG

Today I went on a ride with Pete. Bruce didnt join. I got her bike for the ride though, a XT600. It's already done about 80k and has been everywhere.

The roads were dusty and slippery at places, also some steep decents, rocks and stuff. So a lighter bike would make more sense.
Was a good ride. The surroundings here in P. Shepstone are great.

P1020572.JPG

Me with the XT600

P1020573.JPG

Pete with the XTs

P1020575.JPG

Great sceneries and the weather was superb

P1020577.JPG

a bit dusty, but you get the idea

Tomorrow I will set of to Bergville on the foot of the Drakensberg. That's halfway up to Pretoria, where I'm going next. Hopefully drop by Adventurer to pick up a Heidi for the rear. In Pretoria I will pay Off Road Cycles a visit and do some shopping for camping gear.

And then on to the Nelspruit area for an overnighter before slipping into the Mozz...

Latest posts