BBR: 2010 Issue

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buzzlightyear

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
Yamaha T7
So I checked my calendar, and it was that time again, BBR time. This time Dasklippass and Beaverlac would be the destination, I've never been there.

I packed spare tubes, tyrefix, fruit and water, and mounted the high blue horse and started the journey with a beautiful day dawning.

First stop was on the Stellenbosch/Klipheuwel road to check the local not-so-wildlife.

19072010039.jpg

Then at Wellington I met their cousins

19072010040.jpg

19072010041.jpg

From there I took the R44 towards Gouda. On the way there I noticed another road passing underneath next to the railway, deciced to investigate and found the hamlet of Hermon, where what must have been a beautiful old house in its day drew my attention.

19072010042.jpg

19072010047.jpg

This guy took me there

19072010049.jpg

His name is Thor

19072010051.jpg

Snow on the mountains behind Saron

19072010052.jpg

And looking the other way - Kasteelberg

19072010053.jpg

I drove through Porterville and on the other side I saw some activity at the silo bags depot. Here they store wheat in huge plastic bags called silo bags. The bags are about 55m long. They store about 15000t max at the depot in various bags. I pulled in and had a chat to the friendly man in charge, who showed me around and explained how the machines work.

This machine is used to empty the bag into a truck

19072010054.jpg

Here is one hooked up to a bag, they've just started on the bag.

19072010055.jpg

Another angle

19072010056.jpg

I thanked the friendly man and continued up Dasklip pass.

Halfway up at the hairpin bend

19072010057.jpg

19072010058.jpg

19072010059.jpg

19072010060.jpg

19072010061.jpg

The paraglider's ramp further on

19072010062.jpg

Anyone for a jump?

19072010066.jpg

Picnic spot with a view

19072010063.jpg

19072010064.jpg

19072010065.jpg

Start of the road to Beaverlac

19072010067.jpg

View towards Groot Winterhoek Reserve

19072010068.jpg

I spent quite a bit of time talking to the owners, they seem really nice people. There are nice camping sites and huts, and some nice rock pools judging by the photos. All too soon I had to turn around and start the journey home.

Blockhouse near Wellington

19072010069.jpg

It was a fantastic way to spend a Monday in the Western Cape. :headbang:

Buzz you do take stunning pics. :thumleft:
We would like you to ride more! :mwink:

Hi !

Lovely landscape photos
That part of the country is very pretty this time of year
with all the green fields.

Did the owners say anything about bikes not being allowed at Beverlac? They don't seem to be very consistent about this.

Such pity Dasklip was tarred.

Stofdonkie said:
Did the owners say anything about bikes not being allowed at Beverlac? They don't seem to be very consistent about this.

They are happy for you to arrive on your bike. There are no routes on the farm or anything that you can ride. They do not want rally style behaviour, they'll chuck you out for that, they made that clear to me. I totally understand that, as people go there to relax and enjoy nature. No quads and plastics.

So the long and short is if you behave like a normal camper looking to enjoy the surroundings without impacting on other people, you should be ok  :thumleft:

buzzlightyear said:
Stofdonkie said:

They are happy for you to arrive on your bike. There are no routes on the farm or anything that you can ride. They do not want rally style behaviour, they'll chuck you out for that, they made that clear to me. I totally understand that, as people go there to relax and enjoy nature. No quads and plastics.

So the long and short is if you behave like a normal camper looking to enjoy the surroundings without impacting on other people, you should be ok  :thumleft:

That's good to hear.

About two years ago I went there to camp and was told that they do not allow bikes in the campsite, not even overweight DS ones. I even offered to hand over the keys and push the bike in - still no go!

Wonder what changed their minds.

Stofdonkie said:
buzzlightyear said:
Stofdonkie said:

That's good to hear.

About two years ago I went there to camp and was told that they do not allow bikes in the campsite, not even overweight DS ones. I even offered to hand over the keys and push the bike in - still no go!

Wonder what changed their minds.
Maybe the amount of DS bikes that stop there? And the money they lose out by saying no.

chrisL said:
Maybe the amount of DS bikes that stop there? And the money they lose out by saying no.

Ek dink Buzz lyk net meer civilized as ek ...  ???

I think it may have had something to do with the birthday cake in his back pocket  :drif:  :mwink:

Hey, nice bike. I met a couple on such a bike in Colesburg last monday, they had been to Smellenbosch with some sort of group.