Brand Spanking New ou-toppie Newby wants a bike.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bike
Kawasaki Versys
Hello All,

My name is Harry and I am an Alc...oh 45's sake.  Sorry wrong Site, not the AA.  Let me start over.

I am working about 6000km outside of SA for the past 10+ years. 

Never owned a motorized 2 wheeler before in my life but has been fortunate to have made use of 125DT's in the past 25 years.  Currently I again have access to brand new 125DT's for personal use.  Saying that, most of my bike driving experience has been off-road, bush tracks, short distances less than 20 km per day.

I have my hart set on buying a Versys 650 (when back in SA).  Being used to the small 125DT's, how will I fit with the Versys?  In addition, currently I have given a DT to my wife as well (who is with me in Dark Afrique), because I want her to become used to Motos, then buy her also a Versys to go with me when in SA.  Actually thinking of buying 4 X Versys (want the children to join the ou-toppie - both children past 21 years of age).  My children also had the privilege to have been driving the DT's and other scramblers here but surely needs more "practice" on a bike. 

I weigh more than a 10th of a ton  :biggrin: and is about 5'8 or 9 as is me better halve.

The main use of the Versys would be for gravel road touring around SA.

I do not have a Moto License.  Will probably do a bike driving course (ideally all of us together - all part of the fun ain't it?).

So tell me what you think.