Breedsnek solo - WTF was I thinking

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last Saturday my son took my 1200GS, I rode my wife's 650GS, and my wife drove my Forester over Breedtsnek, south to north.
No falls, but there were times that I had to close my eyes, roll the throttle on, and scream.
It was an interesting ride but not as bad as I thought it would be. I think that going north to south would be much harder.

Geriatrix said:
Last Saturday my son took my 1200GS, I rode my wife's 650GS, and my wife drove my Forester over Breedtsnek, south to north.
No falls, but there were times that I had to close my eyes, roll the throttle on, and scream.
It was an interesting ride but not as bad as I thought it would be. I think that going north to south would be much harder.

They filled in 90% of the holes, hence the easier ride.

So as die reen die goed weg spoel kan ons lekker jol...  :thumleft:

@scubaAL ons het mos nou lekker anner paaie saam die deng wat hom lekker maak man

On the way back from Sun City early September we felt adventurous and took the dirt road from Maanhaarrand to Marikana over the mountain.(Breedsnek?)
This was our first attempt at a dirt road!

I still do not know if that was a good idea. The road was bad up to the sign that said that the rest of the road is not recommended. Then it got really bad.

My road tyres battled manfully (Saw later 3 bar front and 2.8 back and of course ABS switched ON. Ok maar STUPID) up the hill till we got to a very bad wash. I managed to get thru banging my bash plate. The first time I looked in my mirror I saw my wife had gone down!

I have the lowered suspension GS with the short side stand , so it leans very heavy to the left. I could not park my bike and get it up again without turning back and riding thru the ditch again.I had to ride past  my wife to find a place that was suitable to stop. By this time she was up, very dusty and dirty, saying that she was OK. The bike was laying wheels up the hill. I had such a skrik because last year she had a similar tumble and she broke 4 ribs. I stumbled to her bike to help her pick it up. Next thing I was standing with the bike up-write but the back wheel 18 inches of the ground!(650 GS) The adrenaline was really flowing! Fortunately I had just  fitted crash bars  so the bike did not have any damage. Alta is also OK.

After calming down a wee bit I had to ride her bike thru this obstacle because my wife does not believe in turning around. I managed to get thru with some wheel spinning, jumping and an inordinate amount of divine intervention. Managed to park the bike higher up then walk back to my bike some 80m down the slope. Took some time to get the bike turned around as the ground is very slippery, and by now I was knackered. It took all my courage to approach this obstacle again. I managed to get thru again banging the bash plate, spinning, and even lifting the front wheel. Clearly very little skill but lots of foolhardy determination and blatant stupidity.

Sigh of relief we made it – not quite. Had many more challenges to concur on the way up and some very serious ones on the way down. One wash had a drop of 24 inches on not so stable rocks. Alta decided that there was only one way and that was to power thru these obstacles. Which she did. She went past me and I saw quit a few skids and spins. Not bad for a ou tannie. I decided to to the same and we made it down in one piece, dusty and tired, but with a story to tell. We rode to the Hartebeespoort Engen and had some much needed refreshments at the Wimpy.

An Introduction to off road riding course is our XMAS gift.

Leon, I don't think you'd enjoy the Groot Rivier then  :pot:

groot54.jpg

KiloBravo said:
... One wash had a drop of 24 inches on not so stable rocks....

I swear, I rode a different Breedsnek to what you did.

It's a little rutted, and some loose rocks here and there... but half meter drops ???

IDR said:
KiloBravo said:

It's a little rutted, and some loose rocks here and there... but half meter drops ???

This is it some time back

nek.jpg

IDR said:
KiloBravo said:

I also didn't see such big drop - offs, but then again they are busy fixing the road, maybe we missed something?

IDR said:
KiloBravo said:

Borderline possible if they don't fill up those holes.  As soon as the first proper rains come, do it again, you might just get a surprise.

Sad part is that it's such a stupidly short section, if you pick proper lines it's all gone in seconds :'(

Good practice if you go up and down a few times, one just has to be careful of mountain bikers. They tend to ride in large groups and sometimes take full possession of the road width.  That can throw your momentum and lines out of sync.  And no, they have absolutely NO right of way.

For the rest, just go up there and enjoy the beautiful views.  

Hondsekierie said:
IDR said:
KiloBravo said:

Borderline possible if they don't fill up those holes.  As soon as the first proper rains come, do it again, you might just get a surprise.

Sad part is that it's such a stupidly short section, if you pick proper lines it's all gone in seconds :'(

Good practice if you go up and down a few times, one just has to be careful of mountain bikers. They tend to ride in large groups and sometimes take full possession of the road width.  That can throw your momentum and lines out of sync.  And no, they have absolutely NO right of way.

Well the MTB are another lot--No Argatt and we have a Forum member who has clocked on a tandem 120kmph down there --oh yes he is a little adventurous and also rides a HP2

blazes said:
Hondsekierie said:
IDR said:
KiloBravo said:

Well the MTB are another lot--No Argatt and we have a Forum member who has clocked on a tandem 120kmph down there --oh yes he is a little adventurous and also rides a HP2

Please tell all, incl pics / vid as nobody is going to believe this >:D

LeonDude said:
IDR said:
KiloBravo said:

I also didn't see such big drop - offs, but then again they are busy fixing the road, maybe we missed something?

There was a metre deep washout on the south side in June. It was fixed in September. Washout was just below the first left hairpin. (coming from the south)

Latest posts