Broke chain Huge skrik! is this normal?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keithk

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Honda TransAlp XL700V
Last week Thurday I had the TA serviced and requested that they check the chain and sprockets and to let me know if I needed to change? They are only approx. 10,000 k's old. I left on Friday for a trip to the Breede the weather was great with some intermittent rain on the way back I was in the process of overtaking a inter link truck and I heard a loud noise and a sudden jerk, the engine cut immediately and I had no power had to do some emergency maneuvers and pulled off.
Discovered the chain had broken and had smashed through the chain guard and the undercarriage. I was very kindly rescued by XXX , but the question is, is this normal, if not can I hold the service center liable.
When I picked up the chain it had chain wax on it but it was dry and would not "roll up" as easy as it should, the link that broke was on the round and the service center said there was a hairline crack in it ? from what?
I have been told that my sprockets are fine and I only need to replace the chain, I have always been told that it is advisable to replace the sprockets when replacing the chain.
I think I was very lucky that the chain did not "lock up" the rear wheel , dont fancy a power slide on a wet road next to a truck. :) ::)