Caponord Trip - EC dogs' advice needed

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IDR

Grey Hound
Administrator
Reaction score
As posted earlier, I have at my disposal (well, hopefully, not confirmed yet) a Aprilia Caponord for a trip of 9 days, leaving Pretoria on Saturday 26 April and have to be back by Sunday 4 May.

I will be carrying a pillion, and probably a tent, sleeping bags and a mattress - but, apart from the pillion, I would MUCH rather leave those at home.

The idea is to spend a couple of days at her parents' farm close to Cradock (3 MAX), and getting in as much scenery as possible. 

I have free accommodation available in Kasoeka (Just West of Port Alfred) where I'd like to spend at least 1 full day (ie. 2 nights) to chill on the beach.  I would also like to spend at least half a day and overnight in the Drakensberg somewhere, but that's on the way home, so I basically just need to account for the time.

So, it comes down to this:
26 April:  Race through the Free State, highway all the way, arriving in EC at Aliwal North.  Then get to Cradock the scenic way.
27 - 28 April: Use Cradock as a base to explore the areas around.
29 April: Leave Cradock for Kasoeka, but get there the scenic way.
30 April: Chill on the beach at Kasoeka.
1 May: Leave Kasoeka, heading home in a Northerly direction (around the East of Lesotho). Sleep over Coffee Bay?
2 May: Arrive Drakensberg
3 May: Chill out in the mountains bru... although I think I can forego this one.
4 May: Leave Drakensberg early, arrive in Pretoria before nightfall.

So, I'd like to ask the EC WDs, or anyone who can recommend good routes (and bare in mind that it's a Capo, and not a plastic bike) for the following:
  • Best route from Aliwal North to cradock, don't mind too much of a detour
  • Where to go around Cradock, no more than 250 km per day.
  • Best route from Cradock to Kasoeka (via Hogsback?)
  • Kasoeka to the Drakensberg with one night stop over... via Hole In The Wall?  Sleep over Coffee Bay?

Thanks much, and for your convenience, a map attached (feel free to indicate your suggestions on it :) )

Attachments

• bigecap.JPG
    bigecap.JPG
    120.8 KB · Views: 182