Cave Girl and LeonDude goes forth, north.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LeonDude

Bachelor Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Suzuki DR650
The open road is calling and the bikes are roaring,
The mist is thick and the rain might be pouring.
But today is the day when we start on our ride,
To ride through this country, far and wide.

After many months of planning, sitting with the maps open in front of me and picking routes to do, I finally got a route worked out. So this is the route we are going to do.

PPlanOriginal.jpg

But this story is not about that route. This is the story of what actaully transpired.

We leave home an hour late, and immediately run into thick mist next to OR tambo airport. Once we leave the highway to Bapsfontein and then to Bronkhorstspruit things get only worse, and in Bronkies we decide to have coffee for an hour and see if the mist will let up.

PM1.jpg

(You might notice I did a bit of creative paint working on the maps. This is because of a strange quark in mapsource, please forgive that)

100_1730.jpg

100_1735.jpg

This trip was several months in the making, and we are riding with a great feeling of excitement.

100_1739.jpg

100_1741.jpg

We do mostly tar until we are well out of Gauteng, and as soon as we get to the gravel we hit thick thick mud. Some way in the mud gets so serious that I decide I will first walk the obstacle and find my way through. With Cave Girl handling the camera I take my bike through, and its tough going.

DSC02702.jpg

DSC02703.jpg

DSC02704.jpg

DSC02705.jpg

DSC02706.jpg

DSC02707.jpg

DSC02708.jpg

With my bike through it’s Cave Girls’ turn to take hers through. I admire the way she did it, especially the part where pointed to her bike and said “Now bring mine through”.
Her bike is much heavier than mine and I’ve already churned up the mud good, so halfway into the mud I feel myself slipping towards a pool of water with what is obviously a lot of thick mud at the bottom. Cave Girl has no option but to abandon the photo session and help me keep the bike upright as I take it through, so only two pics of me bringing her bike through.

DSC02709.jpg

DSC02710.jpg

Somewhere along the line I hit the first bad failure of the trip, I discover my Jicko stove is not working. The first time we want to make coffee it’s pissing fuel out of the regulator valve. I swear at Michnus for a few minutes until I feel better. Sorry Michnus, if your ears were burning it’s my fault, my apologies. Next time I’ll remember to take the spare o rings with me so I can do the repairs on the road.

[edit] (Just to clear things up, the problem with the Jicko was a mistake on my part, not the stoves’. After we got home I did the maintenance on the stove like I should have – it takes five to ten minutes – and the stove was good as new again. The Jicko is a great piece of kit!)

Bridge over the Olifants Rivier, which we were to cross over and over again during this trip.

100_1742.jpg

100_1746.jpg

DSC02715.jpg

The road is muddy but fun, and then we reach Chunies Poort. I’ve only ever heard of this poort and I planned our route through here especially because I wanted to see it. This, it will turn out half an hour later, was a catastrophic mistake.
Well we all make mistakes, don’t we? Here is what I, in all of my ignorance, did.
I know that Moria, the place where the ZCC church has their annual pilgrimage to, is in Polokwane. It’s always on the news, right, the ZCC is going to Moria at Polokwane. Ok now here is where things go badly wrong. It turns out that the actual place where they go to, the actual grounds, are at a place called Zion City, on a path that just happens to be, you guessed it, the one that I had planned for the day.
It also just happens that it is now Easter, and the time of the great ZCC pilgrimage.
I would still like to know what went through Cave Girls’ mind when she realized that my little mistake was going to cause us to lane split through five kilometers of double lane Putco busses.
I simply cannot put the experience to paper. It took us probably an hour and a half to do those few kilometers, and I was thoroughly exhausted after the time. How Cave Girl must have felt is anybodies guess, but she’s tough as nails, and said not a bad word to me about the whole affair.
By then it was late, getting dark and the mist and rain had once again closed in, and we now had to do Magoebas Kloof. This was a shame, as I had planned to do some riding in the kloof to see this place that I have heard so much about. Instead it was a bad experience to say the least. In the dark I could not find the campsite where we were supposed to camp for the night, and we ended up in Tzaneen.
Cold, wet and hungry, we decided to stick camping where the sun doesn’t shine and found ourselves a lodge to stay at, where we promptly drank all the black labels in the bar.

The day has ended and sleep lies creeping,
To dream of roads both straight and sweeping,
Of tar and of gravel and adventures grand,
As we travel along in this beautiful land.

Lekker, i have my popcorn out, feet on the couch...now when do we see the rest.... :mwink:

Nice RR so far,.... looking forward to the rest. :thumleft:

We head out again to tame the roads,
Our willing bikes purring, under their loads.
What will we see, what wonders await?
This longing for adventure will never abate!

Tzaneen to Pafuri River Lodge
PM2.jpg

We leave the lodge early and head north, excited about the riding that lies ahead. Today we are supposed to ride mostly dirt, but with the weather still playing up we will see about that.
Just out of Tzaneen I almost meet my end. The road is wet and there are two cars ahead of me. When the vehicle in front of me pulls out to overtake the slower vehicle in front I don’t wait for him to finish his overtaking, but stupidly trust that he has checked that the road ahead is clear. I pull out from behind the slow vehicle after him. A moment later two cars are coming from the front, and the vehicle which I’m following swerves back into the left hand lane. Now I’m faced with oncoming traffic, and I’m already going too fast to swerve, and the road is far too wet to simply slam on breaks.
I do as we used to do in high school on our bicycles. I hit both front and back break as hard as I dare, and after gearing for more engine stopping power I even put my left boot on the tar and skid as hard as I can, all the time looking ahead to see if there is a soft piece of tar for me to land on. Today though, my good luck angel is riding hard and fast, and keeping up with me, and somehow I manage to keep the bike upright and out trouble. I’m rattled though, and for the next while I ride extremely carefully. And I won’t even begin to tell you how loudly and longly Cave Girl spoke to me when she eventually caught up with me. Dit was n groot preek!

We find our way to the Groot Kremetart. We are awestruck by this thing, and I can tell you it’s worth a visit. Even though we get there just after seven they serve us coffee inside the tree, and of course true to form Cave Girl wastes no time in finding where in the tree the bats are roosting.

100_1759.jpg

100_1769.jpg

100_1771.jpg

DSC02732.jpg

100_1784.jpg

100_1785.jpg

The road to the tree and out again is muddy though, and already we have to keep focused all the time to keep the right bits at the top and the feet bits at the bottom.

100_1787.jpg

DSC02751.jpg

Cave Girl is a bit worried about the condition of the dirt roads though, and I had to agree that riding mud the whole day was not going to work, we simply had too much ground to cover.

We do visit Thohoyandou for lunch, and promptly promise each other that we won’t set foot there again. It was, on second thoughts, probably a mistake to venture in there at the end of the month and the beginning of Easter weekend.

We skip some of the mud and do tar until the tar runs out and we have no choice but to go gravel, but by that time we are far up north and although it’s still overcast, the gravel roads are not too muddy. We manage good speed, but the scenery is so fantastic that I keep on stopping for pictures and simply to take in the surroundings.

100_1794.jpg

100_1795.jpg

It’s also around here that we realize that no matter where we go, we can always hear the bells of the locals’ farm animals. No matter how thick the bush is, the bells are always somewhere inside there.
Just before sunset we reach Pafuri river camp, where Pebbles and her husband has set up our tent and camp, and we need to only unload the bikes and open a beer. Thanks Pebbles, your effort was very much appreciated.

100_1801.jpg

Our bikes having a rest after two days riding.

The long days riding has tired us out,
Our gentle snoring leaves nothing to doubt.
Together we’re happy to share the roads,
Just us and our bikes to carry our loads.

This RR just keeps getting better. :thumleft:

I love that shot of you guys hitting that "mud" section. :ricky: :ricky: Gr8 shot that. :thumleft:

Jissie ou ma dis n modderagge besigheid!! :biggrin:

Pafuri camp – 3 days

Here at Pafuri we take a short rest,
To gather our strength before heading west.
With many a beer and many a cheer,
Three days in the bush, our heads to clear.

We stayed over in Pafuri camp for 3 days. We did no riding those days.
The actual reason for our visit to Pafuri was to join the Gauteng Bat Interest Group, who was there to check on the bats in the area. So at night we helped with putting up the nets and catching bats and the days was spent at our leisure. So if you see some pictures of bats in this part of the report, you know why. Personally I’m very fond of the little creatures, who take up a very important role in nature.

One thing about Pafuri is the heat, it is as hot as you can imagine. Even at the end of April the temperature was hitting 38 degrees, and you could wring the water from the air it was so humid. In the afternoon the air simply gives up and it starts raining. It’s not like the rain here though, it’s more like standing in a luke warm shower. Take lots of cold beers when you go.

The first day we took a ride into the Kruger National park with Pebbles and her husband, and got to see a lot of game.

100_1807.jpg

100_1812.jpg

This was a mother ellie and her calf.

100_1826.jpg

100_1847.jpg

100_1871.jpg

The Crook of Crooks corner

100_1885.jpg

Some Ellies

DSC02755.jpg

Back at Pafuri we first found this snake.

100_1900.jpg

Then the night was spend with the bats

The second day we went fishing at Makuya National Park.

100_1901.jpg

100_1902.jpg

A note on the fishing at Makuya Park. First, we had this ellie (above) standing about a hundred meters upstream from where we were fishing.

100_1903.jpg

100_1912.jpg

Cave Girl and LeonDude enjoying the day

Then there was the fact that the reeds hid all the crocodiles, or crocologs as we call them. Then, just as we were leaving Pebbles and her husband found that they were sharing their fishing spot with a Mister Hippo.

100_1917.jpg

It makes for interesting fishing when you are doing so in a National Park that boasts the big five and border on Kruger with no fences. It’s an experience I can seriously recommend.

100_1923.jpg

100_1928.jpg

Pebbles and her husband

100_1930.jpg

Pebbles at World View

Entry is not too much, and I think it was about twenty five bucs each for the permits to fish inside the park. Permits are valid for one day.

The next day we spent in camp, and early morning I tried my hand fishing the Mutale river, but with not luck. Check out the warning on the way to the river, and they are not joking. This spot is one kilometer away from Kruger park, and the river has taken out the fence months ago.

100_1943.jpg

100_1942.jpg

100_1941.jpg

..... some more pleeeeeease. :drif: :drif: :drif: ;) :thumleft: :thumleft:

Ek was laas in 1984 se begin in daardie wereld.

Eish, die heimwee...

Lekker verslag LeonDude  :thumleft: