Cederberg-Beaten But Not Conquered-Solo

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EtienneNXR

Bachelor Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Yamaha T7
Ever since I got my bike, a Cederberg trip has always been on the maps, earlier this year I got the opportunity to go do it at the Outriders Dual Sport Festival, but I crashed out within the first few kilometers and missed out on all the fun.

The first week of the holiday had barely passed and I was on my way back there again, this time confident to complete it.
The main idea was to ride the first day from Cape Town to Sandrif a campsite next to the river in the Cederberg, on the second day do the wuppertal route and stay at the Cederberg oasis, and then the third day ride back to Cape Town.

I left early on Thursday morning, lucky to not have to ride in the rain again I headed to Wellington.
DSC00381Medium.jpg

Filled up, bought some snacks and headed towards Bain's kloof Pass.
DSC00383Medium.jpg

Bain's kloof is amazing, it's a tarred pass, but the tight sweeping bends makes it a must do on anyone's list, I can see why the King Of The Mountain Race is held here every year.

There is a height restriction of 3.4m for the pass, this is why.
DSC00384Medium.jpg

The view from the top, there are also lots of tyre marks around the bends, made by cars drifting through the pass.
DSC00386Medium.jpg

Further on the road, on my way to Prince Alfred Hamlet, there was snow on all the mountain peeks, putting a chilly bite in the air. I bought myself some food at the local butchery and headed on to the strange little town of Oppi Berg- Yes that's actually the name.
Filled up at the local co-op, you fill up at the pumps and then go pay inside at the store.

The turnoff to the Cederberg starts here, this is where the adventure really starts.
DSC00387Medium.jpg

These gravel highways are really boring on this slow bike, but luckily the fantastic scenery made up for it!
DSC00392Medium.jpg

Did I mention there were water crossings? I love water crossings! Who doesn't?
DSC00393Medium.jpg

I eventually arrived at the Sandrif reception, it's on a different road than the campsite. Go inside to pay and the Lady tells that I can camp and have the whole campsite to myself but...

The road to the bridge that leads there had been washed away, she said i can go have a look first. So I ride down to the campsite and came across this sight.
DSC00395Medium.jpg

It was decision time...Do I unpack and carry my stuff over, or do I ride on, and look for another place.
I decided to unpack and camp, having the whole site would be great!

The place was deserted.
DSC00396Medium.jpg

5min later.
DSC00397Medium.jpg

When I parked my bike on the other side of the river, I noticed a Yamaha YBR125 with british plates on standing under a tree... Later on when I walked back to my bike I met the guy- Nick
Sorry for the dark-ish picture.
DSC00398Medium.jpg

Turns out I have read about him, he left the border of Wales 10 months ago on his Yamaha 125, rode through Europe, the middle east and Africa and he was on he's way to Cape Town. Read about him here:
https://www.talesfromthesaddle.com/

He works on a very tight budget and doesn't even camp in campsites, he says he just camps next to the road somewhere, he invited me to come with for the evening... I said I'll think about it... 4 seconds later my mind was made up, and I headed back to pack up my tent AGAIN and travel with him. This was my chance to travel with an epic trans world adventurer.
He's plans also included the Wuppertal route, so we headed in that direction on the 4x4 track.
Someone had been here before me...
DSC00399Medium.jpg

Nick's gloves had been stolen 4 times already on he's trip, he said he bought the new ones from PEP  ;D
DSC00400Medium.jpg

The bike he's on isn't even a DS bike, but he doesn't complain, he just rides it no matter what. He rode in front looking for a suitable camping spot in the area. There was a faint track turning of from the 4x4 route, so we followed it.
DSC00403Medium.jpg

We came to this beautiful area next to some rocks and decided to spend the night there.
DSC00409Medium.jpg

We put up camp quickly before the sun started to go down.
DSC00405Medium.jpg

He had come off a couple o days before in Namibia at about 80km/h the screen on the bike is a bit bent and broken, but it just keeps going.
DSC00404Medium.jpg

Nightfall came, and Nick told me all about he's travels across the World, he's plan is to go to South-America from here then into Russia and then ride the bike all the way home.

Next day to follow...
DSC00413Medium.jpg

This is epic stuff! Just shows you, one does not really need a helluva big bike and all the technology to enjoy a trip and the outdoors. Keeping it simple and slow gives you time to enjoy every moment. True adventure spirit!  :thumleft:

eikeboom said:
This is epic stuff! Just shows you, one does not really need a helluva big bike and all the technology to enjoy a trip and the outdoors. Keeping it simple and slow gives you time to enjoy every moment. True adventure spirit!  :thumleft:

+1000

Awesome stuff Etienne.
Keep it coming.
:thumleft:

Wa is die res? Jys op vakansie jy het heeldag tyd!!

Nice stuff!!! Like your panniers!! :)

Nick is a true adventurer. :thumleft: :thumleft:

Having to pack light, I never take a mattress, so the night was cold and hard, but hey it's part of the adventure!
I woke up the morning to this view, absolutely magnificent!
DSC00417Medium.jpg

DSC00414Medium.jpg

Nick and I took our time to pack up, we both still wanted to do the Wuppertal route, and then he's plan was to head back to Cape Town to sort out the shipping for South-America.
One very cold Englishman down there  :D
DSC00410Medium.jpg

I had some left over biltong and coke for breakfast and pretty soon we were on our way again.
DSC00419Medium.jpg

DSC00420Medium.jpg

The road was just filled with water crossings, we had barely been riding for 5min's when my feet were already soaking wet.
The first little town we passed through, I forgot what it's called, sure don't hope there's people living in there.
DSC00422Medium.jpg

Nick fixing a slow puncture.
DSC00423Medium.jpg

More of the little town, I dont know what the people here actually do for an income?
DSC00424Medium.jpg

DSC00425Medium.jpg

From there on we hit the infamous Wuppertal route, I was out in front and being my normal self jumping over every little rock and ant hill- like Andy always says, just having a complete blast on the route, next moment my make-shift-pooratech-pannier snapped off  :imaposer: I have read people on the forum saying: "I just cant understand why people buy smaller bikes" well any person that doesn't have super-natural riding skill would not be able to be riding like that in this terrain- That's why guys ride "smaller" bikes  :thumleft:

So the rest of the route I had to take it easy, I'm coming back here to do it without luggage though, it's a must!
Pulling into the small town of Wuppertal and old missionary station village, the little kids just crawled out of everywhere.
DSC00428Medium.jpg

We visited the local shopping mall, and I bought Nick a coke and a chocolate.
DSC00429Medium.jpg

DSC00430Medium.jpg

This is the old church, it's still in use though.
DSC00431Medium.jpg

DSC00432Medium.jpg

We strapped the box to the back of the bike and headed to Clanwilliam.
DSC00433Medium.jpg

There are these very random palm tree's all along the way, must have been planted here.
DSC00434Medium.jpg

Nick went down in a rut behind me, without me noticing so I rode on, eventually I stopped and waited till he was back again, not He, nor the bike got any damage.
DSC00435Medium.jpg

There are road works all along the main gravel road, seems like they are tarring the road, it's a real pity though, because these great roads is what attracts us DS riding oke's.

Pulling in to Clanwilliam, Nick had to buy himself some supplies- Rice and Patato's  ;D
DSC00436Medium.jpg

We said our goodbye's and I wished he good luck with the rest of he's journey.
Unfortunately I had starting getting sick, and my left "pannier" had broken off, luckily I had completed the part of the journey I had to do for the day, so I decided to rather head back to Cape Town.
DSC00437Medium.jpg

Took the turnoff at Pakhuis Pass and visited Eendstop's hotel for lunch, he was rather surprised to see me pulling in there, especially being alone. The food there is great, the service is great and the prices are even better, I'd definately recommend them- And no, I didn't get paid to say that  ;) :D
DSC00439Medium.jpg

We do allot of day rides in this area so I know some of the roads, not having to take the N7 all the way back is a bonus.
On the way to Misverstand dam.
DSC00440Medium.jpg

Green, green grass
DSC00441Medium.jpg

The last bit of tar back was killing me on the slow machine, having to sit at about 88km/h is very boring, but on another note, it would make one appreciate the next bike allot more!

Pulled in at home about 17:30 after a very eventful ride.
DSC00442Medium.jpg

Things dont always have to go according to plan, sometimes these unexpected changes make it allot better, and more interesting. So I had been through the Cederberg now, another place to tick of the list, although I'd have to go back sometime without luggage.

Cederberg...Beaten but not Conquered.

great RR, thanks for posting. 

once again, amazing what you can do on any bike.  impressive how guys like nick and others have been all around the world on so-called 'lesser' bikes.  the old adage, keep-it-simple-simon seems to be the way to do things.  :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:

Lekker Etienne !
Cool RR , That Palm tree is on the farm that we stayed at in December last ,the family has lived on that farm for 5 generations.
We must go and stay there again and explore the area further.
Was there a lot of water on the Eisselbank Route ?