Changing the front sprocket on a 950 KTM

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Plothond

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 1090 Adventure R
After the fun and games on the Swazi Adventure I decided it's time to change the stock 17t front sprocket on my 950 to a 16 tooth for more low down torque.

I had this part on back order from Pro-Action for literally about 2 months now. When I heard from LostDOG that the parts had arrived, I went down to the friendly dealer and handed over my 300 runt

The stock 17 tooth has a rubber lining on both sides - which cannot come off - WTF. I thus assume that the 16 goes on without it

KTMSprocket001a.jpg

The sprocket cover comes off easily - there are 3 x 8mm hex heads

KTMSprocket003a.jpg

Next, knock back the tab that fits over the the sprocket nut (32mm). Do not knock back completely flat as it is quite difficult to get in behind it when bending it back later again.
Later when you tighten the nut - it must be torqued back to 100Nm

Although putting the bike in gear will prevent the nut from turning when loosening it, I found that mine was too tight for some or other reason and used this nifty plan with the chain to prevent the spline turning whilst loosening the nut

KTMSprocket008a.jpg

Now if you got a stock 17t on, it will not come off with the chain on and the space around the chain is literally ZERO - (as mentioned previously by SGB in another post)
Either you cut the chain OR the following procedure becomes necessary

Loosen the clutch slave and tie back out of the way

KTMSprocket005a.jpg

KTMSprocket006a.jpg

Now you need to loosen the following. No need to remove, AND remember to tighten later

KTMSprocket010a.jpg

The banana shaped aluminium spacer can now be gently pulled over the clutch pin and lifted out of the way

KTMSprocket011a.jpg

The plastic thing-a-ma-jig can also be removed and cleaned

KTMSprocket012a.jpg

Now you have the following

KTMSprocket013a.jpg

Pull off the sprocket - it is a VERY tight closed fit, but wiggeling and jiggeling it finally pay's off

Put on the new sprocket and reverse the procedure ... and

Bobs your uncle !! :D :D :D :D