Chase the Magalies train again <<On 29 March. >>

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bike
Kymco (all models)
I got quite a few PM's and posts after the last "chase the train" ride to organize it again from folks who could not make the last one.

see :-

https://wilddog.net.za/forum/index.php?topic=28075.0

The train rides again this Sunday.

Also, with all the fun we had with the mudmonster 800m from the start last time, I never gave "ye olde puffer" a fair fight at all, so I am quite keen to hand over sweeper duty to someone else and do it a little faster.

Also, I would suggest a format change where we send people off at handicap intervals before the train, slowest first, with the fast riders actually waiting for the train before leaving.   

Meeting Points

Heuningklip Sasol Garage (N14 & Hendrik Potgieter Rd Muldersdrift ) - Free coffee for bikers .
( S26 03.695 E27 49.879 )
09:00

Or go to start of gravel - Tom Muller St Krugersdorp (West Rand Consolidated Mines Village)
Take R28 through Krugersdorp (Paardekraal Road )
Turn right in Windsor Road (Still R28)
About 1,8Km turn Right in Tom Muller st
Meeting point is between the two railway lines in Tom Muller.
( S26 06.765 E27 44.712 ) - Waypoint Regroup in GPX file.
09:30

-------------------------------
Weather Update.

No Rain Tue - Sat forecast.
Sun = 30% of 4mm Thunderstorms
(suspect only in afternoon) 

So should be dry and mudmonster-free.

---------------------------------

The Railway and Canal tour I had in mind :

Krugersdorp to magalies with train, over Breedts, Mooinooi and up to Turfgrond Stasie, along the rail and canal roads to Harties to join Malgat for late lunch.

Total = 144Kms - about 100Km of Gravel. Cant do much more as it is a sleep-in and late start.

Condition  ? - Mostly easy gravel. Couple of minor puddle crossings to Magalies, and a few short sections of Breedt's Nek are a bit rutted and stony. Short patches of shallow sand before Tarlton, and some lovely straight fast bits in the vicinity of Tarlton Raceway. Two shabeens for refreshment marked. 

Plan20090329.jpg

GPS track - Version 2 - Same as Ver 1, but I have modified the waypoints to indicate which side of the railway you end up on - So XR07 means cross over to the right side of the railway line

Also attached a new roadbook of the train route for the non-GPSers - There are two distance columns - the first is for zeroing the odo at "regroup" (Start of gravel) and the 2nd is zero odo at X03 - In case we do some mileage messing about at the old train depot we can zero odos at X03

Attachments

• ChaseTrain20090329_Plan_Ver2.gpx
    52.9 KB
  • RegToMagRoadBookVer2.pdf
    45.6 KB