Magaliesburg - Chase the Train #2 - 20090329

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BTW, the guy waving with one finger out of the Pajero was me! Bastards going riding when I was dragged off to the shops by SWMBO.

Thanks to GG for organising yet another wonderful way to spend Sunday. Good views, great riding and fantastic company. :thumleft:
I am the unfortunate sole who had to "show off" my skills at the water crossing Chalsam refers to  >:D
Of course thought it looked easy, hit a rock at the beginning bike did a little dance and then from there did a major squiggle, but, managed to keep it up right. My poephol chewing the seat all the way and Jules hearing me on the headset using some choice language  :mwink:
always nice meeting new dogs, was really hungry by the time we got to the O'Hagans, worked up a seriaas apetite. As always looking forward to te next one  :thumleft:

DeepBass9 said:
BTW, the guy waving with one finger out of the Pajero was me! Bastards going riding when I was dragged off to the shops by SWMBO.

there were some choice coments about that.  :imaposer:  :bueller:  :ricky:  :patch:  :biggrin:

Li said:
Thanks to GG for organising yet another wonderful way to spend Sunday.
<snip>
was really hungry by the time we got to the O'Hagans, worked up a seriaas apetite. As always looking forward to te next one  :thumleft:

My Plesh, and thanks all for coming along.

Yup. Breakfast at 3:30pm was not part of the plan, but went down extremely well anyway. My fault. Was having too much fun with "lil Suzie" to notice the time slipping away while you'se okes were waiting in Magalies.  ;D  

Sorry 'bout that.

But at least the name solved the debate whether a steam train is a He or a She.

Suzie is definately a she, or a boy steam engine in drag.

Checked my GPS log of speed when I was riding alongside of her between Tarlton and Orient:-

136 m 00:00:10 49 km/h
159 m 00:00:11 52 km/h
161 m 00:00:12 48 km/h
140 m 00:00:11 46 km/h
126 m 00:00:09 50 km/h
154 m 00:00:13 43 km/h
139 m 00:00:12 42 km/h
155 m 00:00:13 43 km/h
184 m 00:00:11 60 km/h
152 m 00:00:10 55 km/h
217 m 00:00:14 56 km/h
265 m 00:00:17 56 km/h
208 m 00:00:11 68 km/h
190 m 00:00:11 62 km/h
213 m 00:00:11 70 km/h
227 m 00:00:12 68 km/h
229 m 00:00:12 69 km/h
147 m 00:00:09 59 km/h
137 m 00:00:10 49 km/h
170 m 00:00:09 68 km/h
223 m 00:00:13 62 km/h
228 m 00:00:14 59 km/h
108 m 00:00:09 43 km/h
65 m 00:00:10 23 km/h

I was playing a bit, dropping back, and then speeding up, but she is not too slow for an old lady.

Such Fun !!

Cave Girl said:
Really sorry I missed this one AGAIN!!! hopefully catch the next one.

S, the feeling was that this one did not work out that well - too much messing about waiting for the train (and GundaGunda ! )

A suggestion for another, if we do it, may be to start with brekkie north of the Magaliesburg at Harties and mess about on canal, railway and Splash's favourite roads til lunch. Have late lunch in Magalies, and then those who feel like it can wait for the train to leave at 3pm, and ride with it for a bit on the way home between Magalies and Krugersdorp.

GG I'm all for that.

It seems a waste to leave the house first thing, hurry up and wait, then tootle along for 30 - 45 min riding in the dirt, then stop, have drinks and chat / break, then tootle on again.

Don't get me wrong it's not that I'm not into riding with the bunch but I think that this trip has to be looked at another way as it is using up a effectively 1/2 day just getting to Magalies. By then a few dogs already have to make tracks for home to please the boss and they have only done a few km's for the day on dirt before having to point and squirt on the tar.

Another thing noted was that when the ground is dry like it was on sunday the amount of dust kicked up is considerable and I noted that it was at a few sections blowing straight into the train carrages. That might cause a few people on the train to become a bit irate.

Pot Holes said:
Another thing noted was that when the ground is dry like it was on sunday the amount of dust kicked up is considerable and I noted that it was at a few sections blowing straight into the train carrages. That might cause a few people on the train to become a bit irate.

Good point. Never occurred to me that we could annoy the train-riders.

But I must admit it seemed to me that they were enjoying themselved watching us alongside them - there was certainly interest and smiles from the passengers - and a few "who the hell are these crazies?" looks.

I certainly picked up no aggro from the train boss-people.

The train sends out quite a lot of ash itself.

I think the chase the train was a bit of a fun novelty, but you are right, time to get back to the business of seriaaas riding.

Good thing is that we found a nice rideable route to magalies - train or no train.

Next time I think I am going to just do a day-trip on the train - seemed to be quite a few unaccompanied ladies and pretty mommies that I could enjoy a drink with - do the whole tourist thing.   

Hey TractorMan, think we can organise to get bikes on train, steam to Magalies with family, then get off and make dust tracks home?  That would be fun!

Hey GG

Thanks so much for arranging such an awesome ride, I had a ball! Now I must just go through your GPS training so that I can get to grips with the routes.  :D There is always something new to learn, isn't there? But I must admit that while navigating Breedt's neck I thought of the first time I ever rode with you - it was the Cannal route that we did with Malgat and you were sweeper. I think I may have learn't just a few tricks since then....  :thumleft:

Regards
TG

roxenz said:
Hey TractorMan, think we can organise to get bikes on train, steam to Magalies with family, then get off and make dust tracks home?  That would be fun!

I though of that once.

Quite a while ago, in my fit and strong youth, I chased the train to magalies on a bicycle. I put my (then young) son and a lady friend (wonder which one  ::) ) on the train. We met up  in Magalies and then rode back together on the train.

Was lekka.

Also did Argus Cycle Tour and  Midmar Mile by train - both times with bicycles on the train.

But how do we get the motorbikes onto the platform at Maraisburg ? Would the train folk organise a trok for the bikes?

TravelGravel said:
Hey GG

Now I must just go through your GPS training so that I can get to grips with the routes.  :D

TG

Husband JB is a boffin with a GPS - I am sure he can help you along, or duzzent GPS info cross the Katoom/Beemer line down the middle of the marital bed ?  ;D

But I promised to spend some time with The Cave Girl to help her with her new and sexy GPS and the PC software, upload download etc.

If it happens you wanna tag along?

hmmm,,,do you feel it????

maybe we should have just another plain canal north run,,,,

bfast at beestekraal ,,,,

and  west canal back,,,

i can feel it in the air,,,hmmmm

malgat said:
do you feel it????

I haven't been feeling myself recently, and I am feeling much better because of it.

The railway from Brits, Rashoop and up to Beestekraal, does it have a service road?

If it does, what would be lekka would be a canal out, rail back ride.

In fact I think you mentioned that a bit of the railway is rideable, but can't remember which bit.

Maybe we take a little group and go pathfinding ? 

jip i agree,,,ive ridden sections of the service line but not all of it,,,,

seems like a great idea,,,how about sunday???

malgat said:
jip i agree,,,ive ridden sections of the service line but not all of it,,,,

seems like a great idea,,,how about sunday???

I see Blazes has a ride planned from Cullinan. Was not going to join, but I may change my mind if all my tjommies go.