Chicken strips, me, never!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice ride report!! Glad to see you guys had fun, bad about the off though. Good news is he is ok!

I also think the facts are not correct here, first of all that is now way in hell a 240kph corner!! If you can do it you must be 10 times better than Rossi.

Also the line he took was wrong. To be on the yellow line at that stage of the corner was not a good idea. Also I do not think he was on 180kph.

Look at the pic, where the solid line breaks, that is where he lost it. So in other words the road was straight again, when he went off. I think, he did not see the bend to begin with, he thought it was a straight. Only way you can loose it there at that specific point......

Hey Pom

Great report - thanks, now Im really looking forward to our trip to Katse this weekend  :thumleft:

MadnohB, have you ever ridden a DL 1000 - they are real quick and with an experienced rider  :deal:

I ride with Pom all the time and have been on trips with the same group of guys to ET and you can believe me when I say that Pom rides circles around the K and the GTR in the twisties (its all got to do with the rider's skills on that type of road) ... in a straight line there is obviously no contest and any baboon on a GTR can do it in a straight line  :imaposer:

I saw Pom's riding boots last night and the sliders are worn down very nicely  :ricky:

Manic I think those lines are not brake lines but the marks from the boxer grinding the tarmac.

Anyhow Im glad Sean walked away from that - Just proves again that the correct gear can save you.

Cheers
H

Clearly either you guys are accusing me of being a bullshitter, or you can't ride on tarmac :mad:
Read the facts, in the thread, and stop accusing me right now! It really pisses me off to be accused
of lying, by a group of people who have no hard evidence, or facts.

Before I joined this forum I rode Superbikes, and not one of you has correctly considered the statements
I have made, I am not claiming to be Valentino Rossi, and if I have stated that I have ridden this road at
those speeds, it's a fact, I am a professional guy, not some monkey who wanted to blow his own trumpet.
If I was that kind of a person I would have joined a bullshit forum like BikeSA.

I read all the forum all the time, and I am sometimes amazed at the crazy antics that some guys get up to with
regards to riding in the dirt, but that's OK, that is their business.

It seems to me, that this type of ride report is not acceptable to certain people, because it is predominatly tar riding related, and all I was trying to do was share my experiences with others.

If you want proof, that badly, I sincerely hope that some of the guys that have previously ridden tar twisties with me come forward.

My mate who took the spill went down hard, he is lucky not to have been seriously injured, or killed.
Whether or not it is the "experienced opinion" of the members that he was wrong, will not change that.
Personally, haven ridden all over SA, and covered more kilometes than I can point a stick at, I don't care, the crash happened, he got up, and walked away.

If it is the intention of the members who are pointing sticks at me to take me on regarding this matter, do it personally, and stop venting your own disbeliefs by posting one liner comments in this thread.

Pom  

Hidalgo said:
Hey Pom

I saw Pom's riding boots last night and the sliders are worn down very nicely  :ricky:

Cheers
H

Correction...................it was destroyed  :pot:......................Ok pom that is blowing the trumpet n little bit  :pot: :laughing4: :thumleft:

Pom said:
Clearly either you guys are accusing me of being a bullshitter, or you can't ride on tarmac :mad:
Read the facts, in the thread, and stop accusing me right now! It really pisses me off to be accused
of lying, by a group of people who have no hard evidence, or facts.

Before I joined this forum I rode Superbikes, and not one of you has correctly considered the statements
I have made, I am not claiming to be Valentino Rossi, and if I have stated that I have ridden this road at
those speeds, it's a fact, I am a professional guy, not some monkey who wanted to blow his own trumpet.
If I was that kind of a person I would have joined a bullshit forum like BikeSA.

I read all the forum all the time, and I am sometimes amazed at the crazy antics that some guys get up to with
regards to riding in the dirt, but that's OK, that is their business.

It seems to me, that this type of ride report is not acceptable to certain people, because it is predominatly tar riding related, and all I was trying to do was share my experiences with others.

If you want proof, that badly, I sincerely hope that some of the guys that have previously ridden tar twisties with me come forward.

My mate who took the spill went down hard, he is lucky not to have been seriously injured, or killed.
Whether or not it is the "experienced opinion" of the members that he was wrong, will not change that.
Personally, haven ridden all over SA, and covered more kilometes than I can point a stick at, I don't care, the crash happened, he got up, and walked away.

If it is the intention of the members who are pointing sticks at me to take me on regarding this matter, do it personally, and stop venting your own disbeliefs by posting one liner comments in this thread.

Pom  

I can vouch for Pom here, have ridden with him on a number of occasions, and there is serious respect for his capability on the bike :thumleft:

Pom

I just see tyre marks in the picture where are the sliding marks .....? you say your friend slid for 100 meters?

Which bike came down the GTR or the K1200S?

On what bike did you do 240 plus befoire the corner?

:bueller:

I rode with Pom and the guys this weekend.
I can tell you that they left me behind within the first few corners, everytime!

The moral of this story is that ATGATT saved Sean some serious agony or worse.
Everyone chooses to ride the way they do, and have to accept the associated risks.

The rest, well, just leave it at that?

zagser said:

I can tell you that they left me behind within the first few corners, everytime!

I dont dispute the fact that Pom can ride well........ butt why are you guys so vague with the facts?

what bike did sean ride and where are the 100 meter slid marks on the tar in the picture?

and i yet need to see a V- Strom that can do 240 plus........

Thats all

Don’t doubt Pom’s superior ability at all……but then it’s him riding circles around rider X and Y and not around a K or a GTR.

To put it like that makes for a nice story though but it’s not true. The “big sports bike” (of which the K is within 10kg in weight from the DL) like the K has a far superior road suspension to the DL not to mention oodles more power (approx 60hp more)…..

and I’m not talking straight line either

TCS said:
zagser said:

I dont dispute the fact that Pom can ride well........ butt why are you guys so vague with the facts?

what bike did sean ride and where are the 100 meter slid marks on the tar in the picture?

Thats all

I was not with them when the incident happened, was on my way home.
I only rode with them on Saturday to Katse.

He never said that he rode at that speed (240+) with his V-Strom, and he never stated that his bike is better than the GTR or K.

There is more info to be found here:
https://wilddog.net.za/forum/index.php?topic=30431.0

Pom said:
Captain Slow said:
Riaan said:
Pom said:
I had destroyed the toe sliders on my road boots, and done a fairly good job of wearing the sides on my new Anakees, and heads up for a DS bike, neither the K1200S, or the GTR 1400 with me could keep up, brilliant!

Gooi bietjie pics van daai boots. n K1200S en n GTR sal kringe om n ds bike ry .......................so dis seker maar die ou op die bike. Ek dink jy oordryf bietjie met die spoed tensy jou pal toe oe gery het en nie die corner gesien het nie.

Wel eks bly hys ok en hoop hy het sy les geleer

He says:

Throw little pics of those boots. A K1200S and A GTR will rings round a DS bike ride…………….. so it is probably the old on the bike. I think you overdrive little with the speed unless your friend closed eyes ridden and not the corner seen had not.

Well I glad he is ok and hope he had his lesson learned.

OK I just read this explanation again, lesson learnt for me, never try to directly interpretate Afrikaans into English, I was about to give Riaan a lecture in the Queens best. Thanks Cappie, you made my day.

My toes sliders are worn out, nothing to prove, a big sports bike, with a relatively inexperienced rider is not a match for veteran who knows what he is doing,  I've seen this a few times, even a 1200GS can do it :pot: And my mates eyes were defintely not closed, the bloody rock was just on the apex of the corner, and he didn't see it, or he did and had an attack of target fixation, I don't know. That stretch of road is renowned for high speed cornering, I have done it at in excess of 240 myself before, it's brilliant.

Riaan, thanks for being a sport.

zagser said:
TCS said:
zagser said:

Thats all

I was not with them when the incident happened, was on my way home.
I only rode with them on Saturday to Katse.

He never said that he rode at that speed (240+) with his V-Strom, and he never stated that his bike is better than the GTR or K.

There is more info to be found here:
https://wilddog.net.za/forum/index.php?topic=30431.0

Then he tell the story very confusingly..........

Pom said:
........neither the K1200S, or the GTR 1400 with me could keep up, brilliant!..........

Then I must have misinterpreted this………sorry

but that’s what it said……..no reference to the riders on the said bikes

Guys

I have known Pom for a very long time & he does not bullshit - ever
Read his first post again

Sean binned his BMW
Pom can ride circles around both Sean & Nigel (GTR1400)  & me for that matter
Pom did not say he rode his DL to 240 on that corner
Some of Pom's previous bikes include a Ducati 748 & an Aprilia Mille both of which could attain the speeds mentioned.

Wind your necks in & just be glad that Sean walked away from it in one piece.

WHS >:D

TCS said:
Then he tell the story very confusingly..........
No... I followed it perfectly...  >:D
BTW that road in question can be done at 180+ all corners if you know the road and your bike, it is probably the most amazing bit of road in this regard. You just want to go faster! :mwink:
BUT it can catch one out... like taxi handbrakes lying on the edges, cows, dogs, baboons (bipedal and quadrupedal), tractors, trailers, taxis, rolling wrecks, snakes! etc. I drive/ride it regularly so I have seen them all.
The bottom line is that I am glad Sean could walk away...  :thumleft:

Wild Hearted Son said:
Guys

I have known Pom for a very long time & he does not bullshit - ever
Read his first post again

Sean binned his BMW
Pom can ride circles around both Sean & Nigel (GTR1400)  & me for that matter
Pom did not say he rode his DL to 240 on that corner
Some of Pom's previous bikes include a Ducati 748 & an Aprilia Mille both of which could attain the speeds mentioned.

Wind your necks in & just be glad that Sean walked away from it in one piece.

WHS >:D

Maybe Pom is Mike Bolhuis  :laughing4: :laughing4:

OK, let's put this to bed now, I've calmed down ;)

The photo of where the guy went down does not do the scene justice, I paced it out from the rock to where the bike stopped. It "was" a BMW 1150 RT, which is also mentioned earlier in the thread.

Secondly, I did not say I had done these speeds on a VStrom, you guys read that into the story yourselves.
I have done it on my Aprillia Mille RSVR 1000, and no-one can dispute the speeds that bike will do.

And finally, if they other guys on the GT and the K do not have the experience, confidence or the skills that I do. This does
not make me respect them any less, they are my mates, and ride within their limits, which is sensible, I ride in my own comfort zone, which is simply faster than theirs.

Case closed.

By the way, I never said I've done 160 of gravel, that's Jabu's job

Can we all go back to work now, and act like grown up's please?

Relax ou's, any crash you can walk away from is a good one and one like Pom describes could have been very, very nasty so let's be pleased.

That is a stunning picture of Katse Dam.