Coaching Sand

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kamanya

Andrew to most
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
I have a pet project where I am developing a methodology to help people who are more than apprehensive about sand. I purposely want to work with people who may know all the theory and yet still have a big block about riding in it. This process deals with the block and is not focussed only on the sand riding skills.

I don’t think that the course would be suitable to people who would like to ride sand but just don’t have the experience, they would do well to go to Country Tracks and the like and start there. If issues around riding in sand come up from there then this might be the ticket.

So, this last Saturday I had another 6 guineapigs, or is that guinieadogs?

Highly edited video of the day. If you want a longer DVD of it shout, (it has no more instruction than what you see here, but if you were there you might want the longer one)

[flash=620,450]https://www.youtube.com/v/4EKkze6mAvI?fs=1&hl=en_US[/flash]

The typical punter (the panniers got taken off at the venue and stored);

First classroom for the theory bit

Remove mirrors, falls are definitely part of the process

Second classroom

Everone has to lie in sand to get to love it

Smaller is definitely easier

Getting somewhere, Bruce

Crashtest dummy strip

The look people usually have when they first see it,

Mat

Rhian

Sweaty work this sand, Anthony

I am the boss... for now;

Bruce, Graduation road

The face of success

Rhian

Tony

All seemed to say that they had a good experience and they certainly rode better in the end. I wouldn't say that they are huge sand riders now, just that when faced with some sand there should be a little less apprehension to try it.

Keep your eyes peeled if you want to have a go. I might run another one in the not too distant future.

You're shouting: "Stand! stand! stand!"
He probably hearing: " Sand! sand! sand!" and thinking: "I know it's f%&king sand - that's why I'm here!"
:imaposer:

Seriously, I think that's a great job you're doing - wish I could come down for a course!

Wish we had such roads here to practice.. Nice job  :thumleft:

Good work Andrew  :thumleft:

I like this phrase: " Your challenge is that your scared of your bike.........you need to get to
like your bike"    :thumleft:

Operator said:
Good work Andrew  :thumleft:

I like this phrase: " Your challenge is that your scared of your bike.........you need to get to
like your bike"    :thumleft:

How true that statement is.

As long as you are scared of the bike you'll never be free on it.

Mind you - there's a difference between being not scared of but still having respect.
;D

I'll check the video tonight at home.

I just got asked this;

How about for us out here in the sticks to post a few sand riding tips for us to work on?

Ok.

The single biggest tip is; you can read all the theory you want, but there comes a point when it's just diminishing returns if any at all. Experimenting is the key.

Theory + Experimenting = Wisdom/knowledge/Eureka!

It is the Experience/Experimenting factor that you need to work on.

So, for those who want to get into it you have to purposefully go looking for bits of sand to experiment on.

Start shallow, slow and short. Ride through it as often as you can. Try different things, sit, stand, move weight about, air down, get conscious of how you grip the bars, loosen up, tighten up, first or second.

Only by playing in it do you get that Eureka moment.

For those that live in low sand places, Middlemannetjies are very good learning places that have a lot in common with the skills needed for sand. Cruise along in first or second and get comfortable crossing them at big angles. Slowly start to cross them at shallower and shallower angles till you can ride on the middlemannetjie without too much sphincter being involved.

My only hard and fast rules for sand are;

• The Clutch is a switch in sand. When starting in sand drop it and go. Sand burns clutches out in no time. Learn to get your fingers off it ASAP.

• Throttle - tapping off can unsettle the bike. Opening up is fine... once or twice. There quickly comes a time when to open up more is not a good idea. Above 40kph or so it's not helpful. (this advice is for beginners, it changes as you get better) Only with experimentation do you learn what the throttles effect does to your bike in sand.

• If you get tired within a very short time, you're doing something wrong. Somewhere you are putting massive effort in. Try figure out where and concentrate on relaxing that bit/s. Sand riding, if you are doing it right is strenuous but only marginally more so than jeep track type riding.

If you think reading internet and "help you guides" is going to get you through sand, then you are being lazy. The only way to get to learn it is to go play in it.

Awesome, love the enthusiasm to that you bring to bettering bikers!  :thumleft:

Definitely need to learn to loosen up on sand myself!  Seems the bike wants to stay up, and its the rider that pulls it down!

Next time you're in Pretoria, give us a heads up! 

If your in Pretoria then Rhino park is a good place to start in the sand. keep an eye out for when some Dogs plan a trip.

I am still at that stage that i have good and bad days in sand. Still looking for my Eureka day  :ricky:

Kamanya I think it is really great that you are willing to take the time to teach othe Dogs your sand skills. 

Another nice one from the sand-psychologist. Thanks Kamanya!  :thumleft:

That is awesome. Where in Gauteng can we get a patch of sand like that. I want somesand to ride!!!!!

Ja nee...sekere mense mag maar....respect!!

So does my plan or theory of acquiring a smaller (350cc or so...brand doesn't matter) and then practice with that slowly but surely in order for you to maybe be a bit more brave and not having to worry about a possible high off that result in or might have plenty damage to the bigger expensive big pappa. Don't forget about the risk of physical injury to or even both..but me personally...I'm more worried about the bike than me. Moenie vir iemand se nie maar ek is bang virri sand en mens moet dit uitsort voordat dit 'n mental block raak want dan gaan dit baie harder werk wees ek dink......of dit kan nooit regkom nie?

It might be easier and quicker to grasp that Eureka moment on the smaller machine....and plastics are cheaper to replace and or fix and there are no mirrors and beeeeeeg bmw adventure screens  :D

Or is like what Gary Player always said: "The more I practice...the luckier I get"......

If you have access to a smaller bike then it's much easier to learn the basics. They give you confidence too.

Kamanya said:
If you have access to a smaller bike then it's much easier to learn the basics. They give you confidence too.

Fanks!

Kamanya said:
So, for those who want to get into it you have to purposefully go looking for bits of sand to experiment on.

We have lots of sand, but no Kamanya....! :eek: You're welcome to come do the same pet project here in Walvis..!  ::) Those of you that have a shortage of sand..........., we can always work out a lekka deal to get some sand delivered....! >:D

:thumleft: as soon as I have been riding for two years I will be looking out for one of these sessions.

Nice one Andrew I should do more sand riding...

Great to see the satisfaction on everyone's faces.. :thumleft: