Coaching Sand

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Kamanya, I already got a few pointer from just that short film.  :thumleft: I am getting more comfortable in sand but this is helping me along.

I've heard of horse whisperers and dog whisperers but you surely must be the first wild dog whisperer!! nice one boet can't wait to come back home to play like that a bit.

Wonderful Andrew!!!

Always love your pics and video clips, I would love to go and ride some sand with you one day, I still have lots and lots to learn!!

:thumleft: :thumleft:

Well done for sharing your insights.

I have now also started playing in the sand on Saturdays.

What I do and coach before we tackle short sections of sand, is to do very tight circles, by balancing the bike with your body weight, and by looking ahead of your turn. We try to get to a full lock situation. We do this on hard ground.

Then we do figure of 8s as tight as possible. This teaches you to move around on the bike, and moving your balance and where you look all the time.

Then we tackle the sand, relax, and just counterbalance the bike as it moves through the sand.

If you want to get a little more advanced, then practice some wide circles and figure 8s in some light sand.

But I fully agree with Kamanya. 90% of the riding after the practicing is in the mind. The bike won't fall on its own when its going. We need to trust it, and trust the technique we are using.

When you get to that second gear, and up to speed, what a rush! :ricky: :ricky:

Great going Kamanya. :thumleft:

Just a slight hi-jack and Q

Riding a big bike in sand becomes very easy after a while. However when its loaded its a different kettle o fish. Its more difficult to ride a loaded bike than a bike with just a pillion as a trained pillion moves with you and not against you. Where the luggage is dead weight.

Do you think you should extent your training to loaded bikes? I have seen how a riding buddy who was ok in sand took a knock up there when he started to battle with a loaded bike.

Ama ride ride said:
Do you think you should extent your training to loaded bikes?

Loaded bikes are a bitch.

Personally I think it would be good. But better/efficient packing skills would be better. What some guys will pack amazes me and with that weight on nobody is going to look good in sand.

Andrew I have just had a look at the video clip as I have been away for the week. Thank you, seeing it does make a difference.
At the start of the day some of us were either jumping off or going down with the bike when we felt that it was not going to recover from a "bad" waggle in the sand. By the end of the morning we were feeling that the bike could recover from situations that earlier we had felt were terminal. We just had to stay relaxed and keep with the bike.
Now looking at the video those "bad" waggles were NO WHERE near as bad as they felt!
Goes to show how wrong ones perceptions can be!
I need to go and feel it again!

Kamanya. When you having a day out at Macassar again? I haven't been there and would really like to go ride there?  :3some:

Andrew, The place you set the lessons looks like a cool ride.
It looks a bit like the road to Bok Punt on the West coast. No?
Any chance of telling another sand addict where it is?  Or setting up a ride one day?

Applied some of the principles on my Crashbar test ride yesterday... sand tips work on snotty patches too!
Letting the bike free and lightness on the handlebars.
Crashbars never needed once! :thumleft:

Andrew, where is that "crash test dummy" strip of yours? Would like to give it a go out there.

My nemesis is the "2 spoor" sand tracks. Keep losing the front end and either falling down or crashing into trees. Every 10 meters. ;D

Ja sand is always a  tricky one for me as well, especially if its hard dirt and then suddenly soft sand patches. If you are in Gauteng and looking for sand deWildt has a nice combination of light sand and nice thick sand patches. Just a word of advice deWildt is hard work on a DS but definitely worth the effort :thumleft:

houbie said:
Ja sand is always a  tricky one for me as well, especially if its hard dirt and then suddenly soft sand patches. If you are in Gauteng and looking for sand deWildt has a nice combination of light sand and nice thick sand patches. Just a word of advice deWildt is hard work on a DS but definitely worth the effort :thumleft:
Where at DeWildt ?

Bliksem Andrew... the pilon road is not for noobs hey... well done to those who made it through the day. You guys have come far!