Cold and wet in Bethlehem...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr Zog

Grey Hound
WD Supporter
Reaction score
Bike
Honda XL500S
The wife and I had been planning this trip for several weeks.  After getting the new GSA we had done a quick one-night trip to Graskop to get the bike run-in, but after that I had to return to Zambia for work and it stood forlorn in the garage under a blanket. I suffered from a severe case of PMS (parked motorcycle syndrome) for the six weeks while I was at away work.

We set off on Tuesday morning around 11. The first day’s riding was just down to Bethlehem from Pretoria, but we wanted to take it slow and see some scenery. We followed the N1 and then the N3, finally exiting at Villiers. It was cold and windy, a strong headwind all the way, with the rain threatening. Just past Villiers we saw a little town off to the right, Tweeling. I turned off and we stopped at a coffee shop to warm up a bit.

P1070302.jpg

By the time we arrived in Bethlehem we were really hungry and cold, so we stopped at the Wimpy for a coffee and a toasted sandwich. From there it was a quick 5-min ride to my friend’s house where we would be staying for two nights. On arrival I introduced my wife to my friend Chris, and then we “kuiered” well into the night, braaivleis and Klippies keeping us warm in the freezing Bethlehem temperatures.

Wednesday morning was cold and damp. The plan was to drive through Clarens, the Golden Gate NP, down past the eastern side of the Sterkfontein Dam stopping at Retief Rock, and then on through Bergville, Winterton, Colenso, Ladysmith, up to Van Reenen via De Beers’ pass and back to Bethlehem. We delayed the start of the day to let the temperature climb a bit, it was still very low single-figures, and finally set off for Clarens around 9am.

Just a few Km before Clarens we stopped off at one of the outlets of the Lesotho Highlands water project. The required pics were taken, and then onwards…

DSC_0024.jpg

DSC_0014.jpg

DSC_0020.jpg

My wife had told me that she had a bit of a tummy issue before we got going, and when we stopped in Clarens she made for the first public toilet. It was obvious that some chemical intervention was going to be needed if we were to successfully make it through the day, but the only pharmacy in Clarens was closed. I turned the GSA around and high-tailed it back to Bethlehem, the wind still very strong, the GSA leaning into it. Back in Bethlehem we found a pharmacy, the “cement-pills” were swallowed, and we headed back towards Clarens again.

Back in Clarens I again had to stop at a public toilet for my wife, and while she was busy I got her a bottle of Energade to keep her hydrated. Finally we set off for the Golden Gate. The weather was really nasty, drizzle and misty conditions making riding quite unpleasant. We stopped at the GGNP and took some pics.

DSC_0035.jpg

DSC_0041.jpg

DSC_0051.jpg

P1070317.jpg

Exiting the GG I was really tempted to give the GSA some gas, the bends in the road were so enticing, but with the rain causing slippery conditions, and in some corners even small streams flowing across the road, I held back and took it slowly and carefully. Just before Harrismith we turned right onto the R74, and that’s where our trip became an adventure. The road was FUBAR! What was a really nice road about 5 years ago when I last travelled it was now a mass of enormous potholes; the one side was closed and covered in about a foot of small loose gravel that leaked over onto the available side.

I had no choice but to slow down completely. About 40km/h. Dodging the deep and dangerous potholes, and trying to stay away from the loose gravel that was up to several cm deep in places. Loose gravel on what was left of the tar made things really interesting; it caused the wheels of the GSA to slip around and gave me a few “moments”. Eventually after several kilo’s the roadwork’s ended, just before the turn off to Retief Rock.

The road up to Retief Rock is dirt. I knew this and I had planned it that way. I had not ridden the GSA on dirt before; in fact I had never ridden a bike this big and heavy on dirt before. But I knew that I had to get that monkey off my back, and the sooner the better. I stopped at the beginning of the dirt and turned off the ABS and the TC, as I had been instructed to when I took delivery of the beast. And then off we went.

The dirt road was in pretty good condition, but because of the rain it was also very wet and slippery. I knew that it wasn’t a very long section, only about 6 or 7 km, so I decided against lowering the tyre pressures. The nearest filling station was a long way away in Bergville, and I didn’t really want to use the CO2 bombs from my puncture kit to re-inflate. At the base of the hill leading up to the monument there is a small stream with a concrete causeway. We stopped here for a pic or two.

DSC_0063.jpg

Then upwards and onwards. In a small saddle I came across a section of mud. I stopped and actually considered turning back. I have picked up GSA’s before in the sands around the pans in Botswana, many times, and I know how heavy they can be. I decided to let the wife walk around the mud-hole, and then I stood up on the pegs and gave it carrots. The mud section was only about five meters long, and I felt the front end slipping, then the back, but I kept the throttle steady and the revs low, and then the wheels were on solid sand again. The wife got back on, and I gave a silent “whoop-whoop” inside my helmet. After that I felt good, and the rest of the hill climb felt like a breeze.

At Retief Rock we took a breather and some pics, and ate an energy bar each. I drank some coke and the wife had some Energade. We looked at the time, it was already 13h30, and we made the decision to rather turn around and head back the way we had come. The weather was looking really ominous in the direction we were planning to ride, and we were out there to enjoy the ride, the scenery, the bike, and each other’s company. We were not out to complete the trip “at all costs”.

P1070328.jpg

P1070331.jpg

P1070329.jpg

DSC_0069.jpg

We saddled up and headed back down the hill, and when we got to the muddy section I just kept on going, and made it through no hassle. When we finally got back on the tar I reset the ABS and the TC, and set off back along the bad section of the R74. Finally turning left onto the R712 again the sun actually even made a brief appearance, and I gave the GSA its head a bit, for the first time in two days the wind was actually from behind, and we made great time back to the GGNP entrance gate. Climbing back up Lichens Pass the road was a lot drier than when we came down it, and the Beast was cranked over a lot further.

We pulled off at the top of the Pass at Protea Corner lookout point and took some more pics. The wife has a passion for flowers, and she found quite a few lovely ones up on the top of the cliff. Then we were off again, passing through the GG and stopping just past the western gate at the Café Moulin for something to eat and a hot coffee. They had a special on Pancakes, R60 for ten, and seeing as I was damn starving after the ride and from the cold we decided to share them. I managed only five, and the wife only three. What a pity to leave two uneaten, they were really good.

P1070324.jpg

DSC_0081.jpg

DSC_0074.jpg

DSC_0078.jpg

DSC_0080.jpg

DSC_0087.jpg

Because we had cut such a large section out of the day’s ride we were now ahead of schedule, and so decided to stop in Clarens again and walk around a few of the shops. Here is a tip to the Dogs reading this; if you ever find yourself in this position in Clarens with your wife, tell her you have lost your wallet. It’s a lot cheaper that way…
Finally we got back to the bike and turned the nose towards Bethlehem again. We arrived at my friend Chris’ house about 5pm, and it was great to have a hot shower and a cold Klippies. Not very long after we arrived the heavens really opened up again, and it rained hard until dawn.

Thursday morning we slept in a bit, finally hitting the road around 9am after saying our goodbyes. We filled up at the last filling station in Bethlehem, and I still hadn’t seen a single wise man, let alone a virgin. I decided to give it a bit of stick on the way home, as long as the rain stayed away, which it did, and we stopped back at home in Pretoria East just before noon. It had been a good ride; I had gained a lot more confidence back riding wet roads, sand roads, and even a small piece of mud. But best of all I had been out on the bike with my best friend, my soul mate, my wife.

Ps. I apologise for the lack of pics, but with the rain and the cold photography was not high on the agenda.

My beautiful wife taking another picture...

P1070308.jpg

Nice RR.  Eastern Free State can get lekker cold. Can be nice riding in that type of weather if you are prepared.  Thanks for sharing  :thumleft:

Time to ride is so valueable! Looked like a very nice trip, and great pictures!  :thumleft:

Lekker ride man, sorry for the weather. We did a quick brekkie run to Fouriesburg on Sunday and when we got to the Ash river tunnel there was no water flowing. Just wondering if you saw the water rushing through there.

Nice rr.  Thanx for sharing.  Good for the wife to join you.  Always better that way......

Thanks for sharing with us.
Did you guys did de Beers pass?
How is the road or rocks on that pass?