CT to PE on the N2

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JERINOMO

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW F800GS
Probably the most boring RR but it's my first one and definitely not the last.

It started off at 06:00 16th of August 2010 at the airport in PE. Already had a look at windguru, and it looked like the perfect day for a ride. We landed in Cape Town at about 09:00 and we were off to our branches in Cape Town to do inspections and what have you. Always work before pleasure.

After all the work related red tape was finished, I left for Stellenbosch and arrived at about 12:30. I spent about an hour there which was probably the longest hour of my life. I left Stellenbosch at about 13:30. Would have loved to get away earlier, but it was impossible.

Didn’t take much pictures as I was eager to get in as much distance as possible while there were still daylight left. Not fond of riding at night. I thought of a stay over somewhere in George or  Knysna, but I had to be at work the next day, so I had to push a bit. The ride was fast and furious. I never went above 160km/hr (TKC’s) but seldom under 140km/h. Not fond of it but I must say it was magic while it lasted. The back TKC took a hammering, but rather that than to ride at night.
My first stop was at Riversdale for 6 minutes to get fuel. The beast gets thirsty when hammered. I got about 14 km/L. Second stop was in Mosselbay where I parked next to the road. Thought I have to stop somewhere for a photo session. As you can see the shades were already stretched.

img00159201008171622.jpg

img00160201008171623.jpg

My last stop was at the Stormsriver bridge. It was getting dark and I decide I did my hard riding for the day. Doesn’t help pushing then as the light is fading fast. That’s when I remembered that I haven’t eaten the whole day. A pie and a Coke for me and a few drops of unleaded fuel for the red lady (Refer to the bike) and we were off again.

img00164201008171831.jpg

img00166201008171842.jpg

Another story to ride at night. Didn’t like it at all. Went past a truck with no back lights or any reflectors at the back. I was doing about 120 all the time. If I was going any faster...?...?...? Also saw cattle next to the road just before the first J-Bay turnoff.
Arrived at home just after 20:00. What a pleasure. I did ± 750km in about 6.5 hours.
Accept for my shoulders, I felt great, no sore arse nothing. After a nice shower and a shoulder massage from my better half, I was in bed.

Thanks again to all who made this possible for me. RS and Stoetbul, many thanks. Also thanks to Donford BMW, Donnovan and Charl. You guys rock. Wanted to say hallo to John Carr, but my time was limited, next time I’ll make an effort to meet all of you.

Till we meet somewhere on gravel.

Shalom

J,

How did the TKC last?
I will be doing the east coast road from CPT to Natal and then up to Swazi :peepwall:
I also have a set of TKC on my S10, wondering if they will make it there and back :patch:

I like it when these beasts are standing proud like this

JERINOMO said:

Nice bike, dude. Enjoy to the fullest.

But not at night  :nono:

Yami 900 said:
J,

How did the TKC last?
I will be doing the east coast road from CPT to Natal and then up to Swazi :peepwall:
I also have a set of TKC on my S10, wondering if they will make it there and back :patch:

Look, I'm not a tyre expert but what I've heard from experts like Rocstompa the TKC is a excellent tyre for offroad and gravel roads but not designed for tar. On tar you'll be lucky to get more than 3000km. If it's brand new, not much tar and you're not too aggresive on the throttle, it will last the trip, but if you're going to be aggressive on the throttle, there is a good chance that you will return with a rather smooth tyre. I did 800km on the aspalt and I'd say about 30% of the brand new tyre is gone.

I've attached two photos to see for yourself. Hope it helps.

Attachments

• IMG00175-20100818-1205.jpg
    IMG00175-20100818-1205.jpg
    63.4 KB
  • IMG00176-20100818-1206.jpg
    IMG00176-20100818-1206.jpg
    77.3 KB
Thanx J :thumleft:

It seems as if need to keep traction control on and it touring mode on ???
And the S10 is about as good as a superbike on the open road :ricky:
Yes I know about the speed rating :deal: Which there was a aggressive tyre like the TKC that can do 130 :peepwall: :peepwall:

doubleoseven said:
I like it when these beasts are standing proud like this

JERINOMO said:

Nice bike, dude. Enjoy to the fullest.

But not at night   :nono:

Thanks, when I got off the bike, my legs were like jelly. I actually lost my footing and went down an embankment. When I looked up I saw this I thought it will be a good photo. I actually made it my Avatar.

Nightdrive and Nightmare is the same thing, just spelled differently.

Yami 900 said:

Yes I know about the speed rating :deal: Which there was a aggressive tyre like the TKC that can do 130 :peepwall: :peepwall:

Jip, pitty about the crappy performance, I will put on the Mitas next time, 230 speed rating

Snafu said:
Yami 900 said:

Jip, pitty about the crappy performance, I will put on the Mitas next time, 230 speed rating

I suppose u refer to the E07? I did a readup on the Mitas tyres last night and like the E09 a lot, but I couldn't find any speed rating on it. Would the speed rating on the E09 and E07 be the same?  I would say that the E09, which compares with the TKC would have a lower speed rating than the E07.

Nice!

img00160201008171623.jpg

Bikes with knobblies just look 10 times better! 8)

I do agree the knobblies do look good!!

I think my next set of tyres should me TKC's - just to get it out of my system!!!!

Zatopek said:
I do agree the knobblies do look good!!

I think my next set of tyres should me TKC's - just to get it out of my system!!!!

I would love to give the Mitas E09 a shot when the back TKC and the front
Karoo is finished. The E09 has almost the same knobblie pattern, but it's less expensive and lasts longer. Sounds like a good deal to me.

JERINOMO said:
I would love to give the Mitas E09 a shot when the back TKC and the front
Karoo is finished. The E09 has almost the same knobblie pattern, but it's less expensive and lasts longer. Sounds like a good deal to me.

I am running that combo. Works great. My rear Mitas has 2000km+ already and still looks new'ish. My rear TKC used to last 3000km.

Nothing like Christening the bike on it first dirt road ride.

The pick-up.

The evidence.

:imaposer:

Not boring, rather nice but please do ad more pitures next time mate!  :3some:

TVB will leave JERINOMO to add the pictures as this was his first ride on dirt ever and im sure he will want to do a
short RR.

Rocstompa said:
Nothing like Christening the bike on it first dirt road ride.

The pick-up.

The evidence.

:imaposer:

That is what happens when you become a habitual creature!!! I always (used to) ascend and descend a bike from the left.

We had a few gates to open and close and it was my turn to handle the gate. The road was hard surfaced covered with loose pebbles of about 10mm in diameter. It was raining and everything was wet and slippery. The road sloped down from right to left, so the low point of the road was on the left. When I got on the bike it was resting on the side stand. I tried to get the side stand in, forgetting that the suspension was set to an off-road setting, making the bike higher than what I normally ride. Next minute bike is off the side stand and down we came.  :eek:

Lesson learned. On dirt, ALWAYS accent from the elevated side of the road. Especially if you haven’t got the longest legs and your bike is not the lightest around.  Fortunate there were only two or three pebble marks on the side cover and only RS to witness me going down in fashion.

Will do a little RR later.